Mosquito and Algae Concerns

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am an architect and building a 2 storey house, for sale purposes. I will also build a 350-400 sq ft(40-50 sq m) pond in front of it. Well, i will use the pond as a marketing trick, as there are no ponds here, ever.

Now, i know this is a large enough pond to go without a filter. And i can't teach how to maintain a healthy filter and skimmer to my customer. I need something zero maintenance. That's why i will build a large pond in the first place.

I know putting tons of fish there, is going to cause problems like algae. However a pond without any fish means problems like mosquito.

Maybe adding only a handful of male goldfish and mosquito fish would work? Male goldfish can't get to breed and won't leave enough nutrients in the water to form algae. That's a huge pond for couple goldfish after all. And mosquito fish i know will get to breed but they won't have a large total biomass.

I mean i had a 50 sq ft pond before. I had mosquito fish in there. They bred a lot and became like couple hundred but their total mass never exceeded maybe couple ounces.

By the way, i will of course build a small waterfall(no filtration). But in my last pond experience, keeping the water moving wasn't enough to prevent mosquitos by itself. Well, maybe my pump wasn't large enough.

So, what do you think i should do ?

Reaction score
It is hard for me to imagine a large body of water without koi, but I do understand your motivation and not everyone see things the same so....what about suggesting mosquito tablets?
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_17?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=mosquito+tablets+for+standing+water&sprefix=mosquito++tablets,aps,191&crid=2Z8G3GNMXJRH5
Gemma wow. I wish i knew about this product before, haha. Well , we don't have this tablet here. I need to give a box of these tablets to the customer, but the possibility of having mosquitos would repel the conservative(about ponds) customers of Turkey. I really need something i can guarantee won't have any problems.

But i don't know what you are suggesting in the big picture?

Should i not use any fish? Is that why you recommend these tablets. Because as long as i use those mosquito fishes, mosquitos is not a concern.

I would of course love to have kois there but you know they can get huge and that means nutrients to cause problems in a filterless pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Gemma wow. I wish i knew about this product before, haha. Well , we don't have this tablet here. I need to give a box of these tablets to the customer, but the possibility of having mosquitos would repel the conservative(about ponds) customers of Turkey. I really need something i can guarantee won't have any problems.

But i don't know what you are suggesting in the big picture?

Should i not use any fish? Is that why you recommend these tablets. Because as long as i use those mosquito fishes, mosquitos is not a concern.

I would of course love to have kois there but you know they can get huge and that means nutrients to cause problems in a filterless pond.

I suggested that as an alternative to fish, thinking you may start with just males but it'd be hard for anyone (buyer) not to want to ad more, and end up with algae and filtration issues, but again that was my thinking so never mind what I said! :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
And they have babies like crazy so goldfish could be a problem in the end .

Ask a Question