Moulded pond

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I have to increase the size of my pond going from liner+2750ltrs to a preformed pond 4000ltrs .I am talking to a supplier in England...would it be fair to mention company name to see if anyone has any dealings with same. Or should I just take it that all are good in there field .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
wolves.gif
gerryman

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. Should not be a problem mentioning a prospective supplier name; we do have a vendor evaluation section. More of an issue may be we don't seem to have a lot of real active members from your area. Local shops, pond groups or consumer agencies may give you more relevant feedback in this case.

Why the preform instead of a liner?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

Yes you can mention a vendor.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Welcome to the forum. Should not be a problem mentioning a prospective supplier name; we do have a vendor evaluation section. More of an issue may be we don't seem to have a lot of real active members from your area. Local shops, pond groups or consumer agencies may give you more relevant feedback in this case.

Why the preform instead of a liner?
The liner pond is 2500 ltr and the new pond will be 4000ltr....I am 68 years old and I am afraid of damaging or puncture a liner that size. And as I do all the work myself it just seems a easier job. And as it so close the the house it's a show pond and a seating area it will be 14 inch above ground...
Hopefully it's easier.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Preforms are at a greater risk of failing than is i liner that is sandwiched between two heavy duty underlayment's . the issue with preforms is having voids under the unit "airpockets" and it is impossible not to. fiberglass would be far superior to plastic. though polyethylene is some tough stuff

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I read about the MDPE and sounds like it is strong stuff. I would be concerned about getting it level and no voids like @GBBUDD stated. I would also be concerned about pockets, underground shifting due to time, ground water seepage, etc. Once it is in, it is in and that would be hard to correct. A liner just goes w/the flow and settles w/all the shifts. I know some on here have used solid items to hold fish in and seems as tho they all somehow fall out of level eventually. I think the larger tho, like swimming pool size must work as lots of people have swimming pools that don't seem to go out of level that I know of anyways. Maybe cuz they are so large and heavy? Not sure how heavy a pool would need to be to not shift at all.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
mdpe = medium density polly ethylene. In construction for say culverts which direct water for a bridge crossing we use only HDPE heavy duty pe

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Preforms are at a greater risk of failing than is i liner that is sandwiched between two heavy duty underlayment's . the issue with preforms is having voids under the unit "airpockets" and it is impossible not to. fiberglass would be far superior to plastic. though polyethylene is some tough stuff
Hi..I'll have a look at what your are saying and do more research on the materials. Will be starting this project in late March.thank you

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I read about the MDPE and sounds like it is strong stuff. I would be concerned about getting it level and no voids like @GBBUDD stated. I would also be concerned about pockets, underground shifting due to time, ground water seepage, etc. Once it is in, it is in and that would be hard to correct. A liner just goes w/the flow and settles w/all the shifts. I know some on here have used solid items to hold fish in and seems as tho they all somehow fall out of level eventually. I think the larger tho, like swimming pool size must work as lots of people have swimming pools that don't seem to go out of level that I know of anyways. Maybe cuz they are so large and heavy? Not sure how heavy a pool would need to be to not shift at all.
Interesting .thank you

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I set my stocks tanks on to a layer of rock dust. That stuff compacts beautifully, doesn't shift. Nice firm bottom.

Mine was about 10 inches or so of dust.

Welcome to the forum!

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I set my stocks tanks on to a layer of rock dust. That stuff compacts beautifully, doesn't shift. Nice firm bottom.

Mine was about 10 inches or so of dust.

Welcome to the forum!
Hi.thank you....please what is rock dust ???

Ask a Question