Small pond and waterfall submersible pump.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a small 250 gallon pond with a waterfall about six feet high from the bottom of the pond. I keep having problems with the pumps for the waterfall. They are submersible pumps in a well at the bottom of the pond. These pumps last only a few weeks or, at most, six months. The company that built my water feature 20 years ago no longer will honor the warranties on these pumps. What could be going on here? I would appreciate any suggestions for a reliable pump for this small waterfall. Also, I continue to have algae problems. Any suggestions for an effective algaecide also would be appreciated! Bruce,

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
YOUR POND IS WAY TOO SMALL FOR A 4 FOOT WATER FALL IF NOT MORE. You cant be pushing too much water over your waterfall . yet you need a stronger pump to lift water up that high consistently. your head pressure is a lot for a low volume pond. i would look at a stronger pump MUCH stronger. then split to supply line place ball valves on both of the splits and then have some of the water go to the waterfall and the other to a filter or circulating jet. Sorry to say but a over 4 foot high waterfall into a 250 gallon pond is not something i can see working very well. i could be wrong but i imagine the splash would be to great and need water replacement often.

as far as algae is concerned Two options come to mind Salt, or chlorine

pictures help greatly to aid in helping and not guesing

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry to hear you are having issues since your previous thread: https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/submersible-pond-pumps.32766/

What have you tried since then? Specific pump models that have failed may give us a clue.
I have a small 250 gallon pond with a waterfall about six feet high from the bottom of the pond. I keep having problems with the pumps for the waterfall. They are submersible pumps in a well at the bottom of the pond. These pumps last only a few weeks or, at most, six months. The company that built my water feature 20 years ago no longer will honor the warranties on these pumps. What could be going on here? I would appreciate any suggestions for a reliable pump for this small waterfall. Also, I continue to have algae problems. Any suggestions for an effective algaecide also would be appreciated! Bruce,
I have had Superior Pumps, Little Giant Pumps and Leader Echo Sub Pumps (which have lasted the longest) among others which I cannot remember.

Ask a Question