My Fish is In Trouble

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes, and that’s why I suggested looking for possible electrical shorts back on answer #4, at least to rule that out as a cause.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey Fishymom,
Wow, I have never heard of that, but I will study her swimming more closely now and see if I can see any signs of that. She is a Comet I've been told, Is there anything I should be looking for in particular? I mean, when she really want to, she can swim like a fish!! HaHa! So, I am kind of confused about her situation? Maybe she is depressed like Alyssafish says? Could it be old age, maybe she is older than the others? Do fish get less active and isolate themselves when they get up in age, and how can you tell if they are getting old?

Thanks
I have 2 fish that sink atm. One Shubunkin and one comet. The comet, called Flat, spent the first 4 years of he life on the bottom of the pond, then suddenly she was fine. After a lot of rain the pond ph dropped to 6.4 and she's now a sinking Flat again. She comes up for food, gulps air to help her up then drops to the bottom. I make sure she gets a feed. The other is only 2 and really struggles off the bottom, her name it Pink. I realized the common fault was fly spray. Both lost their swim bladder ability from that. they sink tail first. Flat came good for about 2 years and hope she and Pink will get better. I add sinking food that Pink loves but Flat prefers to come up. What I'm saying is it could be anything but Flat is getting better and I hope your Sally does too.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Sisha Interesting that your fish “lost their swim bladder ability“ due to fly spray! What makes you think this? Just curious. In my limited knowledge, I always thought that “swim bladder disorder” was caused by one or all of these: poor water quality, poor diet (leading to constipation), bacterial infection, genetics (some fish are more prone to this), injury, or tumor. I suppose that toxins, such as “fly spray” could be considered.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
@Sisha Interesting that your fish “lost their swim bladder ability“ due to fly spray! What makes you think this? Just curious. In my limited knowledge, I always thought that “swim bladder disorder” was caused by one or all of these: poor water quality, poor diet (leading to constipation), bacterial infection, genetics (some fish are more prone to this), injury, or tumor. I suppose that toxins, such as “fly spray” could be considered.

Flat had been fine for 2 years, I sprayed a large black spider in a frame near the pond and the wind suddenly changed and a film of the spray landed on the pond. A few days later I had 3 fish on the bottom of the pond, a few more days later 2 had recovered but Flat who had it before didn't but is getting better each day. Same with the other pond, flyspray landed on the surface and Pink sank. She's pink as she's a shubunkin that hasn't developed her colour yet. She's still at the bottom but I use sinking pellets down the sloping side when the others are busy eating so that she gets a feed. She knows where to be for her special food haha I tried shelled peas but didn't work

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Sisha Hey there! I don’t think you’ve ever told us anything about your pond! I see you’ve been a member since 2017. Why not go over to our “introductions “ topic and tell us a little about yourself and your pond. We also love to see pictures!

Reaction score
Country
Australia
@Sisha Hey there! I don’t think you’ve ever told us anything about your pond! I see you’ve been a member since 2017. Why not go over to our “introductions “ topic and tell us a little about yourself and your pond. We also love to see pictures!
Don't know where "introductions" is

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

I'd add that fly spray is highly toxic i would think they wouldn't make it in a closed environment how big is the pond

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Don't know where "introductions" is
Like you wrote this answer in the topic: “Fish & Koi Talk.”
There is a topic called “Introductions.” “All new members please post here telling us a little bit about yourself and your garden pond. This section is just to say “hi.” Please post queries in the relevant section below.”

83638F32-3EC5-4905-9D08-F8648B0710AF.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I'd add that fly spray is highly toxic i would think they wouldn't make it in a closed environment how big is the pond
It's about 18,000 litres. I can't think of any other coincidence that happened then except the fly spray and both Flat and Pink where always the first up for a feed

Ask a Question