Rescue goldfish and one has popeye help plse !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Some of you will know that I rescued some goldfish and tench from my elderly neighbours pond
Now that I have managed to get the water clear, i have noticed that one fish has a popeye, and the other eye is cloudy
Other than that. he is acting pretty normally, eating etc, gills not ragged
My question is this
I have purchased some pond bacteria/parasite medicine
Should I treat the whole pond or treat this one fish in a quarantine tank??
Soz for long post, but just learning with all this xxx

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Two schools of thought on that. I am of the opinion as long as the water is healthy you should try and quarantine the fish and treat it separately. Most of the time in healthy fish, their immune system will prevent illness. Test water with liquid drops test kit for pH, ammonia, nitrite, and KH. PH should be 7.0 to 8.5, ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and KH 120 to 200.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya
Yes will do this
Just waiting for the liquid test stuff to arrive
Pond water has been tested by my pond chappie and all Ok, but going to check myself.
Trouble is, they were rescued from a pond where the water quality was not great, so may have brought a few health issues with them xx

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hiya
Yes will do this
Just waiting for the liquid test stuff to arrive
Pond water has been tested by my pond chappie and all Ok, but going to check myself.
Trouble is, they were rescued from a pond where the water quality was not great, so may have brought a few health issues with them xx
If the water quality is now good and they were in a situation where they were not good before, I would leave them in the clean pond and keep an eye on it. Single-tailed goldfish are tough and can bounce back from dropsy and popeye just from having clean water. Popeye can be a sign of an injured eye (as can cloudy eye), so it's possible it's just got a little scratch or something that's healing up. However, you do want to watch it closely, as it can be a sign of an internal infection.

How long has it been in clean water?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If the water quality is now good and they were in a situation where they were not good before, I would leave them in the clean pond and keep an eye on it. Single-tailed goldfish are tough and can bounce back from dropsy and popeye just from having clean water. Popeye can be a sign of an injured eye (as can cloudy eye), so it's possible it's just got a little scratch or something that's healing up. However, you do want to watch it closely, as it can be a sign of an internal infection.

How long has it been in clean water?
Hiya
Yes wasnt my neighbours fault but I very much doubt they tested water quality or anything in their old pond
Thank you , you have somewhat put my mind at ease
Have had goldfish before, but never ones that were not in great condition when they came to me
Want to do everything I can for these rescue fish
I did have an algal bloom, but ammonia etc all at acceptable levels
Now water is clear i can see this poor fishy has an issue although he is eating etc
There were also koi in the pond, who were rescued by another chap
They turned out to have the trichdinia ??
flukes, but better now
Mine have been in my pond since end April but water only been truly clear ie no algae for 10 days or so xx

Ask a Question