My Floating Pre Filter Concept

Reaction score
Tried shower drains and the gasket that come with it are about useless unless the surface is perfectly flat. Just curious about his bulkheads.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Some how i missed this work in progress
Some 2 ' shower drains will let the pipe pass all the way through, if yours dont you can file the rim and make it ,go..if it needs to go very far push it through about a 1 1/2" and glue a cpl on it

I have a chart that says the 3 " pipe gravity flow is1500 gph

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Nigil
I have taken my tourch and softend the plastic on the drum and made a flat spot

Reaction score
DrCase, that number is based on having no elevation correct? If my intake stem pipe is 3" below the water surface I would be getting 5300GPH, correct?

Reaction score
Here is my build. Note that I still need to build the skimmer and mid level intake that is on the right side of the first photo, what is shown is temp. I also have to trim my pump intake stem pipe.

When looking at the second photo, on the left is the pump intake pipe. On the right is the clean out. These two pipes are also my barrel float supports. Then the venturi is feed from a pipe through bottom of the barrel.

I have about 12" of filter material. Is this enough?

Attachments

• IMG_0635.jpg
    IMG_0635.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_0631.jpg
    IMG_0631.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_0633.jpg
    IMG_0633.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_0634.jpg
    IMG_0634.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 275

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Airic
yea is you are down in the water, and its a short pass through, i would tend to think the flow would go way up
the 1500 gph is for a long length gravity feed outlet,,i never tested the 3" but i know my 2" 750 gph is about all my drums want

Reaction score
I believe its over the 1500 gph as this is close to what I have on it now, which is two (2) 700 gph pumps. My goal is for around 5000 gph. I do have concerns though and will try a new test to see what happens.

I'm going to hook the pump intake to my pond drain pipe and replicate the pump in that way. I'll record my flow and see what I come up with. When I construct its permanent location, I think I will need to have additional float and ballast weights to keep the barrel within the water and this test will help with determining this as well.

Here it is in the water for my second test and the float pvc ring works well.

Attachments

• IMG_0638.jpg
    IMG_0638.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 264

Ask a Question