My goldfish pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Okay, my pond is still covered in snow, even the areas I shoveled about a month ago. Recently my waterfall and lights popped out and are visible but there is still a lot of snow all over. This week is supposed to be warmer. Go away snow!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well it hit 60 degrees today and it has been nice mot the week, but I still can't see any fish because of all the ice and snow covering the pond :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks Colleen, It hit 75 degrees today..... yeah!!!! I went to check the pond tonight. There is about an inch or so of water floating on top of the ice on the part I shoveled the day of the super bowl. The other half still has a big mound of snow/ice. No sign of any fish yet :(

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
75 should melt that ice all up to nothing fast Keith. Your fish are prolly still sitting way down deep in limbo waiting for the warmth to reach them. Soon as it does they will be up and smacking their big round mouths at you wanting to feast.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yup, but it is supposed to get a lot colder. 40's during the later part of the week. I guess I'll just have to wait.....and wait ...and wait.....some more. Some years the ice melts and I get to see a glimpse of them from time to time.This year because it was so cold in Feb I haven't see them in 4 months. kinda like putting away your sailboat for the winter.
I hope they are all doing well. I would say the last 3 years or so better than 95% of them came out of the winter and spring fine so I have been pretty lucky.
I think it really helps that I run my waterfall all year round.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Do you have any water moving under the ice, Keith? My ponds thawed out couple of weeks ago (I know, I'm farther south than you), and have remained ice free ever since. I have stream and water moving in both pond bogs, plus water bubbler in the koi pond. As Colleen taught me, keeping water moving on the surface does the trick!
Your destination wedding sounds like it was wonderful! Can't wait to see some pics.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi CE, Thanks. There is a hole where the waterfall flows into the pond but that's it. The ice is still pretty thick so there is no way to really know what's going on underneath it. The pond almost looks like there is a gigantic floating ice cube in it but even where you see water there is ice under that too. Thanks about the wedding .It was very nice. Unfortunately not everyone can go to something like that but a lot of friends our daughter and her fiance were there so they had a nice time. I think its kinda of a thing now that everyone of a certain age is having a destination wedding.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
My niece had a destination wedding in CA about 3 years ago. All my brothers and sisters went, so it was a great time.
Keith, I think the trick (and this is per Colleen ...) with thawing out your pond earlier is to have water moving against the surface. If I have it figured out correctly, she has 3 levels of ponds, and the bottom pond pumps to the top, and that pond stays full, as it has to overflow to the next pond, thus keeping the moving water against the ice.
In my pond, I keep the stream running 24/7, and it runs under the ice, but the bog, which is partly underground, also runs 24/7, and the water flows out at the top level of the pond, so moving water against the ice. Once the weather warms up a little, it seems to thaw everything out very fast. Koi pond has a pump shooting towards the surface, so it is like a bubbler effect, going only about 3-4" above the surface. That seems to do the trick on that pond. I know my weather is warmer, but think my ponds thawed out quicker the last 2 years than in the two previous years.
Soon your pond will be thawed out and you will be so happy to see your goldfish friends again!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks CE. It finally thawed out completely on Friday when it hit 60 degrees here. I got to see my fish a little and clean up some of the dead leaves in the pond over the last few days.. So far I haven't found any floaters so thats good. I have one black fish that has a huge stomach and it looks like she is going to have babies any day now!

Ask a Question