My goldfish pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks CE, I didn't want to jinx the purchase but it looks like a done deal right now with attorney approval done. We have a big construction project ahead to plan before I can start thinking how the yard and pond layout. I think it's going to be a lot of fun to start with a blank slate to plan my landscaping project. My wife knows I want a nice pond and that is one of the reasons we are getting this property because it has a larger lot than what you would normally find in the city. It will probably be a year before we actually move in so there is going to be a lot of work ahead!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How fun! a blank slate to start over and make it , again, just how you want it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks Addy. It's going to be a decent size construction project because we will be gutting and rehabbing the while building. There is going to be a lot to plan besides the pond but the pond obviously is a big priority for me and having a city lot big enough for a pond was one of the reasons we bought it. It's 50% bigger than the average city lot so we got lucky with it because this is something we have been looking for for a while. Also it's a Chicago Greystone and I didn't realize it but my wife was hoping we would find something like that so she is happy. We are downsizing considerably from how much room we have in our current house because part of the building will have rental units, but as empty nesters we don't really need that much space anymore and it's a great location with lots of restaurants and shops nearby and not far from the Lake. We are interviewing an architect at the property on Monday so the process is starting......

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks Addy, I will. I do construction all the time for other people but this is going to be a little different as my wife being the client. Well this week we cut down a silver maple in our backyard that was close to 60 ft tall. It was too close to our house and was causing havoc, but now it is really weird having it gone. The guys that cut it out pretty flattened everything next to the tree so that part of the yard does not look great. Exciting news it sound like there is a croaking noise coming from the pond. So I'm guessing there is at least one or more small frogs. I put in some eggs and really small tadpoles in the beginning of the season and left some in an aquarium. It looks like the pond was better suited for them. Also I'm seeing for the last few weeks a half dozen or more new goldfish babies. yey!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I do construction all the time for other people but this is going to be a little different as my wife being the client.
Hope she is a calm good client! Hubby and I work together all the time on projects, usually agree, usually.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Haha, Yes it will be interesting with the move and project. Already went twice so far to drop off things to be recycled. Sold something on e-bay today and getting ready to run some craigs list ads. By the time we move there will be nothing left! Now for the exciting news. Saw the baby frog and took some pictures. He is sooooooo....... cute!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My frogs come and go I will see a ton then none. Then they are back. Even found a green frog up where I store the mower many jumps from the pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That must be fun Addy having so many frogs. There are not any naturally living frogs where we live unless they have come from my pond and spread out in the neighborhood. Well it looks like there is a frog. I saw one yesterday but it was really skittish and not friendly like the other one. Also none of the little croaks like the other one. I wonder if it could be the same one or not.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks Mitch, Great question. We are still planing the building design and don't know how much of the backyard will be open .If everything goes as planned there will be about 30 ft between the building and the garage and a maximum area of 35 ft wide to plan a pond and anything else we want to include in the landscaping. I know my wife would prefer not to have any grass and have pavers to have it easier to maintain. I'm not sure if I should hire a professional to design the pond and yard or if I should try to do it myself. I have had a pond for about 7 years and have seen dozens of ponds on the pond tours over the years so I pretty much know what i like.Also there are some great pics of ponds on gpf to get ideas from. I'm guessing a good size pond would be 2000-3000 gallons or more, but have not really spent any time on that. Also some of the design ideas I have seen that I like have a deck partially going over the water or a bridge going over it. I think it might be fun to design some of it myself but i'm not a professional and I have seen some really sharp backyards with ponds integrated into the landscape that would be difficult for me to plan out. I think it would be fun to try to design at least the pond itself and would naturally appreciate any help I can get through GPF if I try to do it. Also we like all the wildlife a pond attracts including frogs and anything else that calls it home so we will be definitely leaning towards keeping it natural looking with plants, rocks, and a waterfall as part of the design. That said we will stay with goldfish as it will be easier to maintain and I'm quite attached to the 30 or so goldfish we currently have. Now building it will be another story. We will have access to heavy equipment during the construction phase at the property so I can see having some of the people i work with do that. I dug out my current pond with hand tools by myself and I really enjoyed that, but it would probably be too big of a job to do do that with everything else going on and might be a little awkward to do while the construction is taking place. I would like to get the new pond up and running before we move so I want it done early enough so it has time to acclimate before I move my fish. It will take several months to find out if we will get the approvals for what we want to build so I still have quite a bit of time yet. Right now my wife won't let me even think about the pond until we plan out our space but she was on board with finding a bigger lot than average which was very hard to find so everthing should work out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Good luck on your move and renovations and of course the pond. Cant wait to see the updates.
It is nice that you are not rushed to move and have the time to do the planning.

Ask a Question