My new pond project

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Ok, so I woke him up, and he didn't kill me!:) so we got going.
20170602_101450.jpg

Here's a trial run to make sure the hoses are connected right and everything works.
Next is rock placement...
I need tons more rocks! :LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I can't even tell you how much I've paid for rocks. So jealous of those who can find them for free.
We've been rock hunting down by the beach. We've found some, but none that are that big. This is a small pond, so I think the smaller rocks will do here for now...
If course the ginormous one I'm planning for the back yard will have to have boulders...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Now rockholics meetings on here T you are going to run that meeting .I love free rocks .My son complained because on the way grocery shopping I see rocks I pick them up .Finders keepers loosers weepers .My dream rock is out there somewhere

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
I can't even tell you how much I've paid for rocks. So jealous of those who can find them for free.
i started collecting rocks casually year before i started pond , from surrounding and specially from places where they sell sand , or construction areas nearby , they wd filter the sand and throw away the rocks
but if some one is in hurry its very easy , go for long drive specially out of city u will find alot easily .buying is always option if u wana save time and effort

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Now rockholics meetings on here T you are going to run that meeting .I love free rocks .My son complained because on the way grocery shopping I see rocks I pick them up .Finders keepers loosers weepers .My dream rock is out there somewhere
lol same like me ur funy , my mum was saying , pppl will call u rock lifter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
We've been rock hunting down by the beach. We've found some, but none that are that big. This is a small pond, so I think the smaller rocks will do here for now...
If course the ginormous one I'm planning for the back yard will have to have boulders...
if u have any rocky place or small hill , go with a mattock , some large rocks are hidden and little exposed

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I hauled rocks 2400 miles when I moved..........each load had rocks in it! boxes of rocks.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I stopped the other day at a yard where a guy was building a pond. It was half on a hill, so on the berm side he decided to cover with native rocks. He said he, his wife and kids have been walking all over the area picking up rocks for this. The rocks make the pond look really nice.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Funny story my son 3 years old was in my sisters wedding as ring bearer and mom did not watch him closely and when he went up the aisle at the wedding with the rings on the pillow he tried to give the groom rocks he had put in his pocket when no one was watching him .He thought he could keep the rings but did give them up after a little coxing .It made for a funny video that every one still laughs at to this day .He is now 43 years old and will never live it down .My sister and her hubby just retired this year from the post office and showed the video for their anniversary this year and every one got a good laugh .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Terra Zen
Another rock addict here. I have a stack of them waiting for me to find the perfect spot. As for the raccoon's you will prolly have to use a heavier duty wire type cover to keep them out if the pond is easy for them to get into. They don't get into my bigger pond but they did get into my little bathtub pond. Had to put chicken wire over the top of it to keep them out.
Liked it better w/o the wire but what can ya do?

Before
IMG_7454.JPG

After
IMG_8289.JPG

The taller plants just grow right threw the wire. You could get a more rigid type of cover that you could just lift off and on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You guys made me laugh. Rockaholics anonymous.:ROFLMAO: There's something so alluring about rocks, especially the nice big ones that draw me in. I imagine them in my garden with soil and flowers packed around them...
We're rock hunting tomorrow! I had a full day of school today, and my fiance had work tonight, so we both have off for the next few days to stock up on stony goodness, and start really arranging them around the pond.
Between ponding and studying for my neurology chapter-this week should be busy!
In the meantime, we have the pond running , I put a net over it, so the cats and rats and elephants don't run into it...ok, cats and raccoons, but the unicorn song is always a good one...:)
My cat, Sonny, likes watching us work on it-we call him the foreman.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
@Terra Zen
Another rock addict here. I have a stack of them waiting for me to find the perfect spot. As for the raccoon's you will prolly have to use a heavier duty wire type cover to keep them out if the pond is easy for them to get into. They don't get into my bigger pond but they did get into my little bathtub pond. Had to put chicken wire over the top of it to keep them out.
Liked it better w/o the wire but what can ya do?

Before
View attachment 100621

After
View attachment 100620
The taller plants just grow right threw the wire. You could get a more rigid type of cover that you could just lift off and on.
I love that bathtub pond!! It's so "old fashioned" looking, that the chicken wire actually fits the ambiance I think. Lovely!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I hauled rocks 2400 miles when I moved..........each load had rocks in it! boxes of rocks.
This sounds like something I'd do. I moved my hostas from my old house, had to leave the roses due to no sun,:( and nobody willing to dig them up! (I was 9 months pregnant at the time!)

Ask a Question