Pond & Decking Project Completed

Concrete Block construction with fiberglass liner and composite decking surround

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Very nice and I am pleased w/your work also! Great video showing how you accomplished it all. I noticed you had some snow and that you have palm trees planted there. What kind are they that live though that cold or does it not really get too cold and that was just a freak snow thing? I have a hardy variety I planted here, Chinese Windmill palm but it's the only kind that will survive here as we get below freezing at times.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Congratulations on your finished pond, it beautifully done. You obviously have some some major woodworking talent that really shows in the fabulous deck you build.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for all of the comments, regarding the palm I am just outside London, England so it does drop well into the minuses in the Winter. I inherited it with the house but it seems to survive the winter snow without issue. In fact I'm going to continue the same theme and plant grasses when I do the surrounding garden in the spring.

Most of my pond plants have died back now so looking forwards to seeing them return next year, I missed spring this year as didn't get the water in until June. I've never researched it but now thinking perhaps there are pond plants that survive all year round. Something to consider as it's looking pretty glum right now.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@tony sims I love the tropical theme w/all the grasses and your palm. I bet it's a Chinese Windmill Palm as those seem to be the only ones that survive cold winters. There are a few different kinds of them. Some short and some are taller. I grew mine from a seed I found on the ground at a zoo in Seattle near here. That was prolly 15 years ago or more. Here's mine:

IMG_8652.JPG

Also you can grow some of the grasses and sedges in your pond all winter. I have this one in a pot in the pond and it grows great! Happy planting!

IMG_8602.JPG

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Very nice. Love the decking. Where have you hidden your workings for the pond? Love the clean look. My pond is a jungle but suits my garden haha

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great job !! one question what are you doing for filtration i didn't see a skimmer main drains . is that a floaing skimmer ? are you running a sand filter ? watching the video again looks like you may have had a drain in the side wall

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my pond is not for koi so I haven't included a bottom drain. I only have a surface skimmer. All of the pumps and electrics are long lined to my garage under the decking.

Ask a Question