My new pond project

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have always loved ponds, with fish, with plants, rocks...
I had a tiny pond years ago, but my husband at the time hated it, and made me miserable until finally I tore it down, and filled in the hole. :(
Well he's gone now, and my new fiance is a huge fan of ponds as well, so we are putting one in our front yard off the porch. We dug the hole and placed the 165 gallon prefab yesterday, our tetrapond waterfall filter is coming tomorrow, along with most of the mechanical stuff except the pump which should arrive on the 30th. (I hate the waiting business!), it's raining today, so I'm going to collect rocks from around the property to begin considering a decor plan.
I'd like to have 2 Shebunkins because their colors are so beautiful to me. I'm also planning to do rock garden planting around the area.
Preliminary photo

Attachments

• 20170524_071735.jpg
    20170524_071735.jpg
    455 KB · Views: 269
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
welcome so you traded up for a pond .;)I would or could only say if you both love ponds then you are going to want bigger sooner than you know .

Yep! How did you know? We're already talking about putting an even larger one in back of this one, probably next year! I'm thinking a decent width stream connecting them, and a little japanese bridge over it.

This forum is a hotbed of help making pond-growing desires....:ROFLMAO: Not that we need any persuasion!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
I have always loved ponds, with fish, with plants, rocks...
I had a tiny pond years ago, but my husband at the time hated it, and made me miserable until finally I tore it down, and filled in the hole. :(
Well he's gone now, and my new fiance is a huge fan of ponds as well, so we are putting one in our front yard off the porch. We dug the hole and placed the 165 gallon prefab yesterday, our tetrapond waterfall filter is coming tomorrow, along with most of the mechanical stuff except the pump which should arrive on the 30th. (I hate the waiting business!), it's raining today, so I'm going to collect rocks from around the property to begin considering a decor plan.
I'd like to have 2 Shebunkins because their colors are so beautiful to me. I'm also planning to do rock garden planting around the area.
Preliminary photo
welcome and congrats on ur new project , show us ur progress aswellas fishes )
yes i love rocks too , more u can get , it will create nice surrounding and u can place plants on nice spots between them

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
then you preformed can become a plant tank or hospital tank for fish or you can use it with your new pond when you learn from this one

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Welcome :) Spring is a great time to create a pond and work on your landscaping ! I have a fine mesh net, as we used to have a cedar tree ( which fell last year ) and it dropped a lot of fine debris. I've seen nets at Home Depot and Lowes, which are designed to keep birds from eating berries on shrubs...the down side to them, is small creatures can get caught in them.

I know raccoons are clever, so wondering if you'd need to stake a net down.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Almost every experienced ponder on this forum will tell you to go bigger at first than you think you need. If it's deeper like a 3-4 ft depth you won't have to worry about raccoons. Good luck with your ponding and welcome!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So, an update on progress...
We have all of our mechanical components, finally! We've been collecting rocks, and have a good amount, but I'm realizing-I need more! I want to make the waterfall and rock garden around it look natural, and for that I need more rocks!
Yesterday was a nice day, but we were so tired, we slept most of the day away, so now, we're going to start installing the pump, filter and other gizmos later this morning. I have to vacuum the rainwater that's in it out-it's murky and nasty! I can't wait to have moving water so those darned mosquitos stop hovering!!

I'll post pictures as we go!

Ask a Question