Ireland
20170624_122120.jpg
20170624_122110.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
Ireland
Was clear for a bit. Added 5 plants. 3 days later 4 fish. Then the dog destroyed 4 baskets of plants and soil all mixed into pond. The lily is okay and replanted in bigger basket at bottom although i could have left it sit with the amount of soil in there now. Gave filter a clean out and hopefully in a few days ill have clarity back. The same 1 goldfish keeps ending up in the skimmer!?? 2 blue orfe which looks like ill never see again!!! And another tiny goldfish hopefully there okay!!
1498576890793-1527884176.jpg

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Sorry to hear, but I bet the dog had fun!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
Ireland
Just back from.2 week break to find pond very brown... i chanced the mess the dog left but it was overrun with soil. So put fish and plants aside and drained and refilled pond. Water crystal clear again but a lot of time and hard work. I could kill the dog. So past 2 days iv been building the waterfall. I just had first wet run. It went well. Pity this site wont let me upload any decent sized video of it?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Not to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm really afraid that you will constantly have dirt in your pond - your pond edge needs to be above grade, not below it. And yours is way below.

As for video, upload to YouTube and embed the link. Then video size won't matter!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
Ireland
I take your point but that photo show the one side thats worst at present... when i get the rocks ill be tidying the edges properly... for now im building the waterfall and fine tuning the skimmer level... making adjustments as I go... water clarity is cyrstal clear to the bottom at present.
20170717_130142.jpg
20170718_164149.jpg
20170716_140546.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
Ireland
Not to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm really afraid that you will constantly have dirt in your pond - your pond edge needs to be above grade, not below it. And yours is way below.

As for video, upload to YouTube and embed the link. Then video size won't matter!
Youtube video showing current pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
Ireland
Added swcond outlet to filter so I could up the flowrate at skimmer. Filter now has polyester duvet inside and topped with lava rocks... so far its good, Clarity in pond this morning is perfect. I had 9 fish and 8 plants but one fish disapeared yesterday?? Rockery is arriving this week so this project is getting near its finish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
Ireland
Rocks arrived and iv been very busy over the weekend...

Redesigned waterfall... i forgot to raise one of the rocks as i set the waterfall catchment area and the bubbles escape over one of the rocks... the majority of the flow heads left after landing ao it works okay for the skimmer flow im not sure if ill just leave it or try and fix it in future. Link to youtube video shows how its looking now

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
1***)Currently my plan is to use the right hand side which is shaded to design and build a garden pond approx 5ft by 4ft by 3ft deep, in a basic kidney/oval shape. *****

2)***** If my pond is averaging at 5*4*3 = 60,000lts and the pump is 4000 lts/hr, that means the entire pond contents gets circulated every 15 hours, I hope thats right!, All averages I know but is that enough of a circulation?*****

Just been reading this thread due to waterbugs participating in it .. And I know I'm late to the party... it looks like a good project however, and maybe I'm missing something here because no one else has mentioned it but I keep looking at your volume calculations that you are basing the pump etc. on. ..5 ft x 4ft x 3 ft... From my understanding through on line research, My calculations give that a water volume of 450 gal . (5x4x3x7.5=450gal) I tried converting feet to metres and also gal to litres and I can get close to your 60,000 litres. However from your pictures the pond appears to be more likely 5 ft than 5 metres am I desperately wrong in my calculations or my perspective of the pics or is my formula not correct?

Ask a Question