need some help please

Reaction score
ive had a koi pond built in my yard for nearly 2 years now. typically during the summer months when the weather is hotter my pond does loose some water due to the heat. i typically have to fill it up maybe a few times in the summer and i have done this in the past with all my fish in it using an chemical from a pet store to remove the harmful chlorine from tap water. well last nite i did this again and didnt have to fill it any more than normal and i go to feed my fish today for find i have 25 dead koi's. i definitely want to avoid this from occuring again. is there anything you can suggest to combat this or does anyone have a better idea of what they do to add water to their pond. my pond is above ground so water will evaporate quicker than that of a in ground pond. if more info is needed lmk. thanks in advance.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Wow sorry to here that
how much water did you add ? & how big is the pond

Reaction score
i didnt flush the hose first no.
i used PondCare Ammo Lock 16oz Amonia Chlorine dechlorinator.
my pond is about 500 gal. i would say at the very most i added 75 gal or so to it. it was a few inches low on the liner so im just guestimating on what i added. i put a caplet in that should have been plenty i would assume because i have filled it up this way numerous times which now i see i may have just gotten lucky.

Reaction score
I'm sorry about the loss. Am I understanding that you add the makeup water directly to the pond and then add a chlorine neutralizer tablet? As far as flushing the hose I doubt if that was the cause it's just good practice. Also on that percentage you should probably do your water additions in a seperate container and add the neutralizer then add the makeup water to the pond.

Reaction score
yeah i add it directly and then i pour that antichlorine to it afterwards. i figured i should have but the local shops told me to just add that after water and i should be good. i appreciate the help. all my kois were very small maybe a few inches big. i had a hi fin shark as well that is lost that was my favorite.lol.

Reaction score
my pond in size is 9 ft long. 4 ft wide and prolly bout 3 ft deep so i am assuming 500 gal is right too may be a little larger. i may be off on that i have it written down at home but left town today after i found out i had lost all my fish in the pond.

Reaction score
Don't get too dicouraged friend we all have lost fish at one one time or another. On a 15% water change you might want to purchase some kind of makeup container. Also is it completely out of the question that some other kind of contaminate found it's way into your pond and the timing of your water change is coincidence? Also, as another mentioned, Koi get quite large and just a few would be enough for a 500 gal pond at maturity.

Reaction score
Mrshkoiluver i kept thinking the same thing but they were so small i didnt figure it to be a big deal until they started growing my family had sold some to local shops so i was gonna sell some when they got too much for the area i had.

Reaction score
Matty, there should be ZERO koi in a 500g pond. Also, what do you mean about add water a few times during summer? Don't ya do 20% water changes every week? (particlarly during summer?)

Reaction score
thanks for all the help everyone i hated to see em go. i really enjoyed having em and will def be replacing them with fewer when i get back home. thanks for the advice on that matter as well. it is completely out of the question i didnt put anything else into but that doesnt mean it didnt happen so i assumed it was water change. i appreciate all the help i will def be dechlorinating in a different container next time.

Reaction score
yeah i usually add water when it gets lower and i pump some of the water out when i am adding water to it. i didnt however know i should do it weekly. ive learned alot already from this forum.

Ask a Question