Never enough filtration

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
After a warm spell last year i went out to the pond and found a favorite fish belly up. Tests all looked good so my only conclusion was lack of dissolved o2. The waterfalls i thought would be enough but with the two reverse flow bogs all i could come up with was that they striped the o2. None of the fish were gasping for air but right or wrong i decided to add a 60" Bakki shower to the system. Yes its probably way over kill but i am knocking at being over stocked. So this should solve those two issues plus with the media chosen they say it also helps stabilize ph when it rains and helps keep it a constant and lessen fluctuations.

Going to place it sitting on the top of the wall to the raised bog. hoping only the end will be visible.

so the return from the cistern is going to be routed to the peastone bog. the 3" line that splits to both bogs will have the feed to the peastone bog rerouted and feed the Bakki shower. now this monster can handle 13000 gph but i'm only going to throw 4,000 gph at it maybe 5000. This should allow plenty of hang time within the media allowing for the bacteria to do it's thing
large-60-bakki-shower-w-waterfall__24257.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You're a nut. But the best kind of nut!
You know what comes next? EXPANSION !!!!!!!!!!..... I have been putzing around with the pond all winter..... Today i think i'm going to put in the last of the lights... I think I need help lol

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Never can have too much. Love my bakki shower. Not nearly as large as yours though.
I was going to make my own shower with a few totes, but i just couldn't see it and ruin the look of the pond. So I started looking at polyethylene sheeting to cut up and manufacture my own but a 48" shower was going to run 1,000 dollars just for the stock. I got this beast brand new for 1300 hundred with 4 boxes of media, though it needs 7 boxes and some matting. no brainer . though my design was going to be made from black stock I can live with the tan. I got this beast from Underwater Warehouse

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
NEver can hurt to have too much filtration, because it is only too much at your current stock level, which for everyone never goes down.

As you know, Death from Low oxygen levels is usually preceded by certain behaviors ie gasping, or hanging out near waterfalls. Sometimes crap happens, with our pets/livestock despite our best efforts.

Either way it gives you something to do, since you like to tinker with your ponds as much as I do. Thinking about building a green house over the 1800 gallon turtle pond, don’t know why other than for s#$ts and giggles.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Jhn keeps us out of the wife's hair. at least in my case. If i don't find something to do she certainly will.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
If I hadn't rehomed my four koi, a bakki shower was next !!! What type of media are you using ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We use ceramic media. Not the Momotaro, but a knock off just like it. I did put a matala matt over the top of each tub, since leaves would sometimes blow into the gaps between the tubs.

We have ours a few feet back from the top of the waterfall, with weigela shrubs planted on either side. In summer we throw a camouflage net over the shower and it disappears from sight.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If I hadn't rehomed my four koi, a bakki shower was next !!! What type of media are you using ?
At this time the Cadillac of shower media is Momotaro it didn't make sense where I have plenty of biological with the two bogs. The shower media is not infinite and does need replacing in time . So my thinking was to use what came with the unit which is sea sideaquatics. Very similar in nature to Momotaro but reasonably priced. Same Basic Material both ceramic and both cooked to 1300 degrees . Momotaro is 380 dollars for 3" x 15" and 11 sticks, I'd need around 10 boxes OR MORE for 3,800 bucks .., OUCH..... Sea side who makes the shower unit, and is who I just found out today my Favorite Koi dealer KOI Market is also using the Sea Side Bakki Shower. The Sea Side media are 65 dollars for a box of 1.5" x 6.25 and I would need 8 boxes = 520 bucks . I'm sure over time I will start adding a box here and there of the Momotaro But what will really sway me to step up or not will be the condition of the pond over time.
I did put a matala matt over the top of each tub
I'm Planning a row of Black Matala mat at the top to catch any of the larger stuff that gets past the pump strainer then a fine filter DISPOSABLE that will sit below that on an Aquablock panel all across the the unit that will sit on a green Matala mat that will sit on another aquablock panel that will sit on a fine blue Matala mat . The reason for the panels is to allow a layer of air between . I'm not sold on the aqua block panel i may switch to the black Course Matala mat instead as it will allow more air travel across the unit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not sure I was clear on the matts. They are on top of the ceramic media in each tub.

That media can get pricey. Good that you found a more reasonably priced one as we did. Just couldn't pay that much for what seemed like a brand name and I don't see a difference. Maybe there is, but ours works well for us.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You know what comes next? EXPANSION !!!!!!!!!!..... I have been putzing around with the pond all winter..... Today i think i'm going to put in the last of the lights... I think I need help lol
We could start a online intervention for you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
At this time the Cadillac of shower media is Momotaro it didn't make sense where I have plenty of biological with the two bogs. The shower media is not infinite and does need replacing in time . So my thinking was to use what came with the unit which is sea sideaquatics. Very similar in nature to Momotaro but reasonably priced. Same Basic Material both ceramic and both cooked to 1300 degrees . Momotaro is 380 dollars for 3" x 15" and 11 sticks, I'd need around 10 boxes OR MORE for 3,800 bucks .., OUCH..... Sea side who makes the shower unit, and is who I just found out today my Favorite Koi dealer KOI Market is also using the Sea Side Bakki Shower. The Sea Side media are 65 dollars for a box of 1.5" x 6.25 and I would need 8 boxes = 520 bucks . I'm sure over time I will start adding a box here and there of the Momotaro But what will really sway me to step up or not will be the condition of the pond over time.

I'm Planning a row of Black Matala mat at the top to catch any of the larger stuff that gets past the pump strainer then a fine filter DISPOSABLE that will sit below that on an Aquablock panel all across the the unit that will sit on a green Matala mat that will sit on another aquablock panel that will sit on a fine blue Matala mat . The reason for the panels is to allow a layer of air between . I'm not sold on the aqua block panel i may switch to the black Course Matala mat instead as it will allow more air travel across the unit.
Tom Tran (Seaside Aquatics ) . is one nice guy and who I bought my koi food from :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not sure I was clear on the matts. They are on top of the ceramic media in each tub.

That media can get pricey. Good that you found a more reasonably priced one as we did. Just couldn't pay that much for what seemed like a brand name and I don't see a difference. Maybe there is, but ours works well for us.

Agreed.... even with the camo net leaves still find there way in ? hmmm I was thinking i may buy one of the black polyethylene panels and put that in front to try and keep the leaves out and make it a black wall, over a tan wall. I'm planning on hiding the side of the filter with a dead tree.

Ask a Question