What to feed a goldfish that's never been fed?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a pond with one surviving goldfish about 6 inches long. I thought all my fish died in the heat wave two months ago except one. Then after a few days he disappeared too, I looked for him for weeks and nothing, so I assumed a raccoon got him and we have no more fish left.

I cleaned out the entire pond last weekend. When the water went down from 24" to about 8" I saw the fish hiding in some string algae and I caught him. So now he is living in a Home Depot 5 gallon bucket until I finish with the pond rework which will take a few weeks. I set up a small pump with some air stones for now.

The problem is food. I have never fed these goldfish, they lived off whatever is in the pond, bacteria, algae, tadpoles, worms, crabs, whatever else...I gave him some dry fish food and he doesn't touch them. I am not sure he knows that's food.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
A+ job with the airstones, as he will need oxygen more than food. He's probably in a bit of shock from being moved from pond to bucket, so may not be hungry at all. Is there any way to get him a larger place to live while the pond is in progess? Even a 20 (10?) gal fish tank would help. Do you have any of the string algae left? or Hortwort? Both of those will give him natural cover and something to nibble on. I wouldn't feed more than every 3 days and scoop out the food if he doesn't eat it. Keep an eye on water parameters for ammonia, do a little water change maybe every week using dechlor.
Good luck.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Blow up kiddy pools are cheap.

Yes but I cannot use these. Whatever I use has to be racoon proof because we have roaming coons around. Right now with a bucket I have 1/4" chicken wire over the top, topped with 2X4s and weighted down with bricks. If I do not do that the coons will get it in no time. A kiddy pool with a fish in it will be deflated the next day with the coon's claws and it is difficult to keep them out unless I make a metal cage bigger than the kiddy pool on the outside.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Try some live food like baby brine shrimp. Then when it is eating try giving dry.

If that don't work dig up some worms.

Sarah T is spot on. What about a tote with a lid

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Can you put him in one of those 17 gallon totes (the plastic ones with rope handles) with plants in it and an aerator and leave it inside somewhere that gets morning light? That is what I would do personally. A bucket for a six inch fish is way too small...and sad:(

Reaction score
Country
United States
A question indirectly related. I will want to do a two day cross country automobile transport of two to six comets, 2 about 5 inches plus tail, the others smaller (3"). I figured to use a large plastic tote container with a lid. Is there any concern for oxygen during such a trip? It would seem that as goldfish are kept by kids in a bowl "forever" without ANY circulation these guys should just be conten just bubbling, "Are we there yet?" Or? Thanks in advance. Ron.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a pond with one surviving goldfish about 6 inches long. I thought all my fish died in the heat wave two months ago except one. Then after a few days he disappeared too, I looked for him for weeks and nothing, so I assumed a raccoon got him and we have no more fish left.

I cleaned out the entire pond last weekend. When the water went down from 24" to about 8" I saw the fish hiding in some string algae and I caught him. So now he is living in a Home Depot 5 gallon bucket until I finish with the pond rework which will take a few weeks. I set up a small pump with some air stones for now.

The problem is food. I have never fed these goldfish, they lived off whatever is in the pond, bacteria, algae, tadpoles, worms, crabs, whatever else...I gave him some dry fish food and he doesn't touch them. I am not sure he knows that's food.

Bathtub inside the house with some algae, etc??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
A question indirectly related. I will want to do a two day cross country automobile transport of two to six comets, 2 about 5 inches plus tail, the others smaller (3"). I figured to use a large plastic tote container with a lid. Is there any concern for oxygen during such a trip? It would seem that as goldfish are kept by kids in a bowl "forever" without ANY circulation these guys should just be conten just bubbling, "Are we there yet?" Or? Thanks in advance. Ron.
Buy a battery powered aerator. I got mine at Petco and it was less than $20. Or, if a friendly pet shop or scuba place will add oxygen for you, move them using BIG plastic bags (double bagged) with just enough water to cover the fish in the bag. They can share a bag or two. Then bags go into a box for easier carrying. (That's how I transported my fish 2 days when I moved.)
Also, don't feed them for 3 days before, or during or for 2-3 days after you get to the new place.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Buy a battery powered aerator. I got mine at Petco and it was less than $20. Or, if a friendly pet shop or scuba place will add oxygen for you, move them using BIG plastic bags (double bagged) with just enough water to cover the fish in the bag. They can share a bag or two. Then bags go into a box for easier carrying. (That's how I transported my fish 2 days when I moved.)
Also, don't feed them for 3 days before, or during or for 2-3 days after you get to the new place.
Thanks, Sarah - but I still want to know a kid's fish survives with no "additives" in a bowl seemingly forever.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
And she knows what she's talking about because she transported a 20" koi from Illinois to Florida! I am still thinking about that one SarahT!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Thanks, Sarah - but I still want to know a kid's fish survives with no "additives" in a bowl seemingly forever.
Well, I guess some do make it for a little while but it is cruel....I know that growing up we didn't know any better and every kid seemed to have a goldfish in a bowl, not to mention that no one used dechlorinator either...A lot of cruel practices back then ( I am 70 so I've seen a thing or two:)

Ask a Question