Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I was buying new tanks today for the turtle sanctuary and they were on sale for $199.99 which gave me a surplus of nearly $300 left over (tanks are normaly 229 and I needed 6 of em) and an excuse to go look at the betas and so now I introduce you to Spartacus :D my new pal.
20160219_175610.jpg
20160219_175617.jpg

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Welcome home Spartucus

I knew it wouldn't be long until you brought a new betta home :D

Once bitten by the betta bug you won't be without one or two or three .....:rolleyes:

Yep, they get under your skin after you have one for a while. Here is a better image of Spartacus :D
20160219_193656.jpg

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Welcome home Spartucus

I knew it wouldn't be long until you brought a new betta home :D

Once bitten by the betta bug you won't be without one or two or three .....:rolleyes:

PS: How often do you do water changes full & partial and how often for a complete water change + tank cleaning for betta ?

Reaction score
Country
United States
If the tank is filtered and cycled then I do partial water changes every 1-2 weeks. Vacuum gravel at the same time. Amount of water change varies depending on size of tank, if the betta has any other tank mates and if the last water change was a week ago or two weeks ago. I tend to change between 25%-50%.

If the tank is unfiltered and smaller than 5 gallons then %100 water changes are done every 5-7 days. It really depends on tank size, size of the betta, and how much they are being fed. Smaller tanks will require more frequent water changes. The only way to know for sure is to test for ammonia daily. If ammonia shows up on day 5 then you would want to do water changes every 4 days (again I'm talking about unfiltered tanks/containers)

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
If the tank is filtered and cycled then I do partial water changes every 1-2 weeks. Vacuum gravel at the same time. Amount of water change varies depending on size of tank, if the betta has any other tank mates and if the last water change was a week ago or two weeks ago. I tend to change between 25%-50%.

If the tank is unfiltered and smaller than 5 gallons then %100 water changes are done every 5-7 days. It really depends on tank size, size of the betta, and how much they are being fed. Smaller tanks will require more frequent water changes. The only way to know for sure is to test for ammonia daily. If ammonia shows up on day 5 then you would want to do water changes every 4 days (again I'm talking about unfiltered tanks/containers)

Okay, thanks for the advice :). Spartacus is in the B-2 tank which is a 4.2 gallons tank that is both filtered and has a UV-Sterilizer in it. The B-1 tank is 8 gallons but it does not have any filtration so I rarely ever use it except for times when I have more than one tropical fish (platy, guppy or molly) pregnant and need a second safe space for the fry. I am currently doing a partial water change and gravel clean every 5-7 days and a full water change every 10-12 days. I replace the filter cartridge once a month and flush the UV bulb housing at the same time. I only have Spartacus as far as betta fish go so not really a load on the filter so it sounds like I am doing about what you recommended but if you think I should make changes let me know.
PS: The reason I will never keep more than one betta is because I get much more attached to them than I do to my koi (8) or my tropical fish (61 + about 12 fry) and so I guess I don't wan't to have to "pick a favorite" lol so I just spoil them one at a time :D

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
@bettasngoldfish
PS:
Spartacus is the first "regular" betta I have ever had because my others were half moon and crown tail but, I am really glad I chose to go with this type as he is very active and entertaining. I'm not sure what you call his "type" but my understanding is that he is the "standard" betta and my crown-tail and half-moon were more of a slightly specialized breed. As I mentioned though I like him a lot more than I thought I would as he is very friendly and interactive with me. More so than my others were with the exception of Alpha who was my all time favorite and the one I miss the most :( . Anyways thanks again for the advice (y)(y)(y)

Reaction score
Country
United States
You have what is called a veiltail betta. Glad to hear you are enjoying him :)

As for water changes in a filtered tank you don't want to or need to do %100 water changes. You could actually be causing your tank to go through a little blip in the cycle by doing it. And that could mean exposing your betta to ammonia and or nitrite spikes. Which *may* not kill him but could stress and weaken him and make him sick.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States

As for water changes in a filtered tank you don't want to or need to do %100 water changes. You could actually be causing your tank to go through a little blip in the cycle by doing it. And that could mean exposing your betta to ammonia and or nitrite spikes. Which *may* not kill him but could stress and weaken him and make him sick.
10-4 (y)

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States

veil-tail crown-tail half-moon two-tail fat-tail no-tail fairy-tale lol :banghead::banghead::confused::confused::confused: there sure are a lot of bettas huh ? lol

Ask a Question