Speechless!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in IL, Zone 5B. Last July, I decided to add a 30 gallon mini-pond to my back yard after dealing with Post Concussion Syndrome for over a year. I desperately needed a relaxing “zen” like place.

After going round and round with myself, I purchased 6 White Cloud fish, various plants and a Pond Boss filter with pump. I forgot to have that birds-and-bees discussion with my 6 fish as the population EXPLODED practically overnight!

As winter approached, I really struggled with what to do with the teeny fish. (Full disclosure…. I own a pet sitting business. I could not fathom doing something that could potentially harm any living creature. This caused many panic attacks and anxiety - due to my concussion).

Someone from this group recommended a lovely gal from Canada who keeps her fish in her ponds all winter long. After a lot of hemming and hawing, I decided to give it a go. I purchased a NuVue pond cover and left the pump running all winter long. I would check on the pond frequently and all looked great until January, when we had that horrible cold snap of negative 17 for a week (without the wind chill). The pond froze - and pouring hot water on the ice did not work. Once the ice had melted, I found some dead fish. Probably 10? I was heartbroken!

At one point, I turned the pump off for about a week, and gave it a good clean. I put them pump back in and turned it on. In the meantime, I decided not to restock the pond as I did not want to go thru this upsetting fish situation again. I would pour water into the pond every couple of days - without letting water sit for 24 hours or adding anything to it. I scooped leaves out of my pond every couple of days and then a week ago, I saw movement. Hmmm. The next day, was scooping leaves and saw movement again. IT WAS A FISH! OMG. One fish survived! I was ecstatic! And the next day - there was MANY FISH. MANY! And babies! WHAT?? I had done everything you are NOT supposed to do over the past few weeks - assuming all the fish had died. But many survived! THEY LIVED! How is that even possible?

Sooooo. For anyone wondering what to do with their fish over winter - in temps that got down to negative 17 for a week - in a 30 gal MINI-POND - you CAN KEEP THEM IN THE POND. All winter! I did it!

Speechless!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Are the fish you found fry or grown? If grown, they somehow suffered the harshness. As a compassionate pet sitter, you might want to reflect and ask yourself, did you provide them with the best stewardship possible? The lady in Canada kept (keeps?) her fish in humane conditions. Your pond is small, why not just bring it inside for the winter?

Reaction score
Country
United States
If my pond was above ground, I would have brought it inside for the winter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
esvenson

Latest Threads