Waterfall construction woes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We’re rebuilding our pond and that’s gone well. Now trying to build rocky cascade running down into pond but struggling to seal!

We’ve got a pvc liner and using slate rock and waterfall foam but try as we might don’t get a seal between the rocks and the pvc- when we leak test- somehow a small trickle under rocks every time.

Questions
- how to get proper seal with waterfall foam.
- is there any chance that it doesn’t matter too much… if it’s leaking out onto liner- this will eventually run down water course too just less going over our slipway stone.

Feeling really disheartened with this- have tried three times to with no success.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. I would say it does not matter much, as long as the water is not leaking outside of the liner, you'll be fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hope you enjoy the forum. Unfortunately waterfall foam is not watertight, it will direct most of the water away but you can expect some water to leak under it. To really seal something watertight you would have to get into silicone sealant and there are others here that could help you with that.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
ele's.gif
@Emtee

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Pvc liner is not a long term product and like any pool with a pvc liner No belts in the pool as the liner can rip soooooooo easily. Just be real careful and cover every inch you can any animal with claws could destroy your hard work.

And yes unfortunately waterfall foam is open cell foam and it only stops the major flow of water and directs it in the direction you want and keeps the MAJORITY from running under the rocks. One thing i have done is to take a fish friendly caulking and coat the dry foam with the caulking thus making it close to being water proof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Vee
Pvc liner is not a long term product and like any pool with a pvc liner No belts in the pool as the liner can rip soooooooo easily. Just be real careful and cover every inch you can any animal with claws could destroy your hard work.

And yes unfortunately waterfall foam is open cell foam and it only stops the major flow of water and directs it in the direction you want and keeps the MAJORITY from running under the rocks. One thing i have done is to take a fish friendly caulking and coat the dry foam with the caulking thus making it close to being water proof

very helpful- thanks so just to make sure liner is directing most of water

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No liner contains the water . If you want to use pieces of liner to actualy divert or keep water from large areas from getting below rocks and thus wasted energy afterall it's not enjoyable watching water run under rock. But if you want to make a pooling area in the stream you can cut a scrap piece of liner and create what's known as a bib liner. You cut this tight between the rocks a d waterfall foam that. Making the spaces hopefully much much smaller removing a lot of the water from bleeding through the foam .

Ask a Question