New fish in new pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well I added 4 goldfish about 3" long each to my new pond. I waited a week and a half after filling it before I got them. They seem to like it though and are still swimming this afternoon (good thing I"m thinking). Now what the heck do I feed them and when should I? Put it this way these guys were saved from becoming bait for bigger fish and I think they are grateful for this. They seem to like to swim and or stay stationary on the bottom just hangin there, is this what they do to become aquinted with their new home? And our outside cat hasn't noticed them in there yet.
We do have two frogs that showed up at our pond too and man is the one loud! lol but it's pretty kewl to hear em. It got cooler here today in Nebraska (in the 50's as opposed to the 90's we had for a few days) and he's not singing...my guess is he isn't to fond of the cooler weather just as much as I am not.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I put some in last year, they never wanted to come up to eat. So left them on their own, the five doubled in size. I would not worry about feeding them until they show some interest. There is plenty of stuff they can find to eat. If you want make a rope ring or plant type ring and put some floating food in that ring, very little. They may learn it is a good place to come and eat. I did that in arizona pond, ow the food went into the skimmer.

If the water is still cool they do hang out on the bottom.

Mine all hid on the bottom and are still hiding, they need time to get used to the new digs. A pond is so big compared to a tank they are raised in.

Reaction score
Hold off feeding them until it gets warmer. Then get some floating goldfish pellets. When they are bigger you can use small sized koi pellets, which are cheaper. Don't feed them more often than every other day until you are sure your filter is cycled.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
well they all seem pretty content right now at the bottom just hanging around and for some reason like it under/around the fountain, but do hang around my upside down pots I have plants on (black taro, water lily and screw plants I ordered some hyacinths off of ebay so they can hide under in the summer). They really dont seem to shy away from me or even hide when I walk around the pond, so my guess is they are grateful for not becoming bigger fish bait.
When I went to Earl Mays to get a water lily and they had some sample fish pellets (smaller ones) to try that she gave me, but I'll hold off on giving them any of that just yet, since our weather seems to teter on hot then cool here in Nebraska. Was 96 two days ago for three days now it's 58 for the high. ugh come on already summer!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well if the pics worked here are a couple of my fish just hanging round the pond. I see I'll have to shut off the fountain to actually get a good pic of them lol

Attachments

• P5131493.jpg
    P5131493.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 282
  • P5131494.jpg
    P5131494.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 300

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They do like to hang around stuff, the few times i have seen mine they have been around the lily pots.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep mine like to play in the fountains and air bubbles or hide under the floating rings :lol:

Ask a Question