introducing fish in a brand new pond late in the season

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Some of you know that I just opened my new pond a week ago and after a few days I put in a few baby koi.
I knew it was late in the season but I thought they would be fine, sink to the bottom soon and eat again in Spring.
I introduced them now because they were cheaper to buy, but most important to use the new pond as a quarantine until next Spring when I will be moving some of my large koi from the other pond....but now I hear that koi eat all winter long and I worry that no algae will be growing in this cold to keep them alive through the winter.
@addy1 mentioned moving some plants from the other pond for the little fish to nibble, but I don't have plants that last all winter.
What about those "Vacation food" blocks, could I drop those in the pond?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
but I don't have plants that last all winter.

The plants don't need to be green all winter - a pot of lilies will have lots of little "stuff" growing, even on the pot, that your fish will love. Move some pots, some rocks, anything that's in your existing pond will have good stuff on it. Or go to a nursery and buy some hardy plants in pots - just drop the whole pot in. The plant is still "alive" even if it goes dormant for the season.

And your pond will grow algae just because - that's what happens to any mass of water.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I have koi in my pond and I've always stopped feeding all the fish when the water temperature drops under 55F. The fish all seem fine and in fact appear bigger in Spring despite the fact that I don't feed them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@JohnHuff - I think @Gemma is concerned because this is a brand new pond that there won't be anything at all in the water for her fish to eat over winter.

But I agree with you - our fish are always magically bigger in the spring!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have koi in my pond and I've always stopped feeding all the fish when the water temperature drops under 55F. The fish all seem fine and in fact appear bigger in Spring despite the fact that I don't feed them.
I do too, in my other established pond.

@JohnHuff - I think @Gemma is concerned because this is a brand new pond that there won't be anything at all in the water for her fish to eat over winter.
Yes! It is the fact that the pond is only been running a few days and there is zero algae growth

I've decided to drop in a block of "slow release vacation food" every couple of weeks throughout the winter if necessary, to make up for not having algae, would that be bad for the water quality?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've decided to drop in a block of "slow release vacation food" to make up for not having algae, would that be bad for the water quality?

I have no clue... I know what you're referring to, but if the fish don't eat it, will it just sit there and decay?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have no clue... I know what you're referring to, but if the fish don't eat it, will it just sit there and decay?
lol I was asking you that:D
Perhaps it would be equally bad as having lots of debris if the pond was under a tree? I've gotta do something

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I could send you a mass of hornwort, but you might not want it in the spring, ie growing in your pond. I love the stuff it really is another part of my bog/plant/biological plant filter. It easy to remove, just net and yank out.

I could box up a nice big box of it for you. I know my fish eat it during the winter. It stays a nice big plants until right before spring, then it disappears and just comes back.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a forest of it.

Capture2.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I love @addy1 's idea! That's kind of what I was getting at - any established plant or even a pot that's been in your other pond will kick start things.

A few months ago I posted a sign that I saw at a place near my home. They excavated and built a lake from an old quarry that covers 110 acres. They took ONE BUCKET of water from a natural pond to get the ball rolling. It really doesn't take much to encourage nature to do her thing!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The algae will grow.....take a few plants from your old pond and I guarantee you there are some pond snails in it......if not find some pond snails and put them in your skimmer...... They will multiply like crazy.....koi love them.....also I have alot of earthworms crawl up on my patio during the winter .... I throw them into the pond......they love them...... Even though you are not feeding them they are still eating a little bit.....enough to hold them till spring.....its the nature of things

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I could send you a mass of hornwort, but you might not want it in the spring, ie growing in your pond. I love the stuff it really is another part of my bog/plant/biological plant filter. It easy to remove, just net and yank out.

I could box up a nice big box of it for you. I know my fish eat it during the winter. It stays a nice big plants until right before spring, then it disappears and just comes back.
I appreciate the thought but no thank you, I've already bought the food blocks and will go with that

Ask a Question