New from Ont

Reaction score
Hi all,
I was googling for an answer to a pond question, and ended up here.
After hesitating for years, we finally made our pond. The finished pond holds about 2500 gallons, quite a bit smaller than our plan. Initially, I was planning on making it myself, but after some serious thinking, and discussion with a friendly contractor, he ended up doing most of the work. Although the pond itself was completed a couple of weeks ago, we are still working on the associated structures and landscape.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and building a pond is not for every one but i enjoyed since I am retired I had plenty of time .You will have to posrt pics and ask away we are here .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Glad you joined! Post some pictures when you can, we love to see other peoples ponds.

Reaction score
Hi all,
Thanks for the welcome. Here are a couple of pics. The water looks a little dirty because we just have our first rain since the pond construction. It is still work in progress.
pond4.jpg

pond2.jpg

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
That's very nice! Where in Ontario are you? I have a friend in Mississauga that had to give up on kois after 20 year because the minks got them all. Apparently some idiots went and let loose a bunch of minks from the fur farms and they've gone wild. He could protect against the raccoons, but the minks can swim and get pass his net and fencing. Crazy!

Reaction score
Hi Mike,
I am in Milton. I heard about that minks situation from my pond contractor too. They are probably the worst problem for pond fish.
At present, I have no plan to put fish in my pond. I know this sounds crazy; I made this pond mostly to 'enhance the enjoyment of my garden'.

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Water gardens without fish look really nice as well... fish just adds another dimension of movement and "life" in the water...

Some of the old school Chinese/Japanese water gardeners I know like to keep really green water and fish. The fish is hidden from predators but also, they like the surprise whenever a fish surfaces... also a Feng Shui thing apparently...

To the point where they dump chicken poop in the water in the spring if the green water doesn't develop fast enough!

Reaction score
It is amazing that the 'beauty' of green water supercede the smell of chicken poop to some people. It is true that fish will add another dimension in the water garden. For now, the frogs are standing in for them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm glad you found us - welcome! :wave: that's a beautiful pond and garden you have there!

Ask a Question