New guy/pond redo

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Beautiful fish and pond!

Since the pond is so new and you already put a bunch of big BEAUTIFUL fish in it, I hope you know all about nitrogen cycle?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Beautiful fish and pond!

Since the pond is so new and you already put a bunch of big BEAUTIFUL fish in it, I hope you know all about nitrogen cycle?
I was thinking the same thing, but with over 7000 gallons, and decent filtration, he should be OK. But @gliebig, do keep an eye on your water parameters and the fish (for signs of stress).

Reaction score
Country
United States
Roger. We pumped back in the old water from the holding tanks and the filter has been on since spring.
I rehomed about 60+ goldfish and koi, so there are a lot fewer fish in there per gallon than before.
I wouldn't think there would be a crazy ammonia spike with a dozen fish in 8k gallons, but I sure will watch them closely. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Roger. We pumped back in the old water from the holding tanks and the filter has been on since spring.
I rehomed about 60+ goldfish and koi, so there are a lot fewer fish in there per gallon than before.
I wouldn't think there would be a crazy ammonia spike with a dozen fish in 8k gallons, but I sure will watch them closely. :)

Great! I thought I saw the fish in the pond in earlier pictures and then they were gone in another I thought you have to know how to house them properly but just want to be sure :)

Most of the bacteria are on the surface of the pond (and in the filter) I think there are some discussion here a while back about bacteria level in 'the water' since if anybody who has UV, the bacteria in the water would get killed by the UV anyway, so I think the agreement was that the bacteria level in the water shouldn't be that significant or the pond would lose the bacteria and have to start the cycle over and over with the UV light on.

I was thinking the same thing, but with over 7000 gallons, and decent filtration, he should be OK. But @gliebig, do keep an eye on your water parameters and the fish (for signs of stress).
I couldnt tell how many fish he has but seems like I could see them clearly in that huge pond so they must be quite big and are koi, ammonia spike could happen anytime.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Awesome pond! I like your waterfalls. Thanks for sharing your build.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Some driftwood pics from this morning.
ponddone9.jpeg
ponddone10.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Such a beautiful pond all around. I especially love the driftwood in the waterfall. Definitely adds some character, and it's not something I've seen used too often.

Just amazing all around.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
SO pretty. I wish I have artistic eyes and skills!! oh and money to buy big rocks.....

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone have an idea what this yellow guy is? Maybe just a mutt? I don't know, but I think he/she's really cool...

ponddone8.jpeg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Beautiful everything! That yellow one is pretty! no clue on the kind

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Did you happen to see the video I posted of the guy with the pond .He had those and talks about them .I posted it on what does your pond look like .He said about adding stuff to it to make it easier to clean

Ask a Question