New in Denver

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I got into Koi a little over a year ago by starting with a 93 gal. preformed pond. This year I have built my new pond, @ 1300gal, partial above ground. I have a skimmer and a bottom drain that gravity feeds into a nexus easy pod filter, then to the waterfall and also two return lines (one with a UV light), in opposite sides of the pond for circulation. This summer was very warm and I have had a string algea problem after only a couple of months. My readings on the water have all been real good, but my filter has been getting alot of loose algea so cleaning has been a little difficult. Does anyone know of a pre filter I can put in line before the filter to help eliminate some of this algea so I don't have to clean the filter as often. Leaves and gunk also get caught in all the string algea making the bottom drain less effective in my opinion. Sorry this was so long for my first post. Love to hear your thoughts, suggestions and help.
Thanks,
Mike

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome, mroons (Ooops! My auto-correct tried to make that be "morons!" Boy, that wouldn't have been a very warm welcome...)

No answers, but I'm looking for good pre-filter ideas, too, so maybe you'll get some good replies.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and geeze mmathis that would have been a real wake up for sure would have like it but ran out of likes :razz: :razz: :razz: so smileys will have to do .If you have koi you may end up going bigger .Wish someone had told me before i started my pond how big they het and how fussy they are .All I have seen is those leaf baskets and found one pacific water scapes .com for 49 dollars and addy told me about them .They go inline and have a clear top and a basket inside to catch stuff before it gets to the pump .I am going to get one but waiting to see if they come down on price or have a sale

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomeautumn2.gif
Mike

Reaction score
Thanks for all the welcome's! Yes, I have only Koi in my pond, and would love to go bigger sometime but I think I willI enjoy what I've got for right now after all the time and effort it to to just complete the pond.I have seen a sieve called a Hydro-sieve from Russellwatergardens that goes in line. Has anyone out there used this and if so, how has it worked for you? Was thinking this could possibly work for me.
Thanks!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
You could add a vortex which we have on our system perhaps also some shade above your pond may help keep the algae down such as a parasol or sail

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Welcome, Mike! Did the string algae just show up now (November??) or have you had it all summer? I had it really bad in March, when our temps jumped up to 80's unseasonably, and fought it for about a month, then it went away. I always wondered about bottom drains, and how you kept all the gunk out of them. You might try using a net and netting the bottom to help keep that stuff from getting to your drain. I have my pump off the bottom by about 12" (on a milk crate) just for that reason, and never have to clean it off and it never gets clogged with gunk. If you net the bottom more often when you have leaves falling into your pond, that will help keep them out of the way anyhow. Algae should go right on through maybe then. And, if you have lots of leaves in your yard, might want to net your pond before they start falling, to help eliminate that issue altogether.
Good luck, and let us know what you do to help alleviate the problem!

Ask a Question