New koi

Reaction score
Country
United States
My best friend just bought me 2 new koi after my incident I had a couple months back for Christmas. He wanted to give them to me for Christmas but didn’t know where to keep them. Cause they are about 10 inches. He told me he needed to pick something up and needed to drop it off at my house. Thinking it was just something else for his son for Christmas. Thought nothing of it. Pulled in asked me to help. I looked in the insulated cooler and looked at him and busted out crying and gave him a hug. I talked about them all the time. He knew I missed them so much. One is a butterfly omg they are so beautiful. Ive learned so much from everything that happened. I’m so grateful

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Happy for you and renewed joy! Now, whatcha gonna do about them going forward? I don't remember details of your pond ecosphere there, but IF you're getting winter proper, it's going to stress your new babies by putting them into any outdoor pond. I'm seeing a large rubbermaid tub, lots of aeration, water changes probably, NO overfeeding, water param monitoring weekly, and some sort of indoor bog filter to help, in your future. I'm sorta doing the same but already HAD such a setup (though, just created a new bog filter for it yesterday) by overwintering my turtles (and some newly-purchased koi) in my basement in a cheap Intex pool. I'd suggest that but it's probably overkill for what you want/desire. Still, just be careful they don't die on you over the winter IF you're in a cold area of the country. If down south and temps aren't onerous, you can slowly acclimate and I mean SLOWLY. You like to do this with as little temp difference as possible, like 5F difference. Anything more and you need hours to make sure you minimize the stress.

Glad you got new babies; be sure to TAKE SOME PICS PICS PICS, hey? I mean, WE love pics around here and ifn @Mmathis strolls on by, she'll be askin' too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Happy for you and renewed joy! Now, whatcha gonna do about them going forward? I don't remember details of your pond ecosphere there, but IF you're getting winter proper, it's going to stress your new babies by putting them into any outdoor pond. I'm seeing a large rubbermaid tub, lots of aeration, water changes probably, NO overfeeding, water param monitoring weekly, and some sort of indoor bog filter to help, in your future. I'm sorta doing the same but already HAD such a setup (though, just created a new bog filter for it yesterday) by overwintering my turtles (and some newly-purchased koi) in my basement in a cheap Intex pool. I'd suggest that but it's probably overkill for what you want/desire. Still, just be careful they don't die on you over the winter IF you're in a cold area of the country. If down south and temps aren't onerous, you can slowly acclimate and I mean SLOWLY. You like to do this with as little temp difference as possible, like 5F difference. Anything more and you need hours to make sure you minimize the stress.

Glad you got new babies; be sure to TAKE SOME PICS PICS PICS, hey? I mean, WE love pics around here and ifn @Mmathis strolls on by, she'll be askin' too!

View attachment 145603
I have a lot of videos. I do have a pool in my basement. So I’m actually all set. What happened last time was. I put them in my basement for the winter. My koi are bigger than the previous year and detached my filler and the sound irritated them and two of them jumped out. Next year, they’re all staying outside!!! I learned a lot. Just cause it was good the previous year and they have plenty of room they’re bigger and they can knock things around now.

Reaction score
Country
United States
heh heh, dayum kids; don't ya jus' luv 'em? :p:oops::rolleyes::):);)

View attachment 145606
Yeah the one that jumped out was my favorite. But I learned a lot and I made this and put it by there pond
image.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
that's a little bit harsh at this time of goodwill and festive cheer, don't you remember when you first got new fish ?
Thank you. I thought that same.
But I I have a tendency to take things to heart. So I just didn’t say anything. I’ve been busy. Taking care of where they are putting hide outs in there. Making sure everything is clean, vacuumed and secured. And then with the hoildays. We all know how that is. I’ll try to get some good pictures besides just the videos on my phone. Again, thank you both for sticking up for me!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a pond net right now over it and it’s ratchet strapped on. So even if they jump they can’t get out! I will take pictures in a little while for sure cause I need to fix the filter!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah my bad. Didnt realize the fish died at the end and i was hoping to see pictures of the pretty fish... It's too late to delete the reply. Would
I didn’t want new koi. Every time I talked about them I cried. My best friend knew how much I loved them and knew I wouldn’t get new ones unless someone got them for me. Since I was so heart broken. I was just super excited and can’t wait to set everything up in the spring.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is how I have it now

Attachments

• 8D962AD2-7C5B-4355-97D2-3C7608EA0C62.jpeg
    8D962AD2-7C5B-4355-97D2-3C7608EA0C62.jpeg
    298.6 KB · Views: 11

Ask a Question