New owner of defunct Waterfall

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You have some glorious rock there to work with! One step at a time... you'll get there! What's the possibility of replacing the concrete with EPDM liner? It's so much easier to work with and will last 25 or more years without failing. You have the existing template - just a lot of elbow grease to get the concrete torn out (much easier if it's deteriorating like you say it is) and then re-line it. Maybe?

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Looks like you've certainly got your work cut out for you with this project as it would seem that there really isn't a stream course, per se, but rather that the water is channeled over the large stones by means of a concrete "berm" that's been constructed on top of the rocks.

I would start your project by first removing any and all plant material that's grown in the stream "course", then pressure wash the entire length of the stream. Take that pump out of the pool, take it apart and clean it up. Run a new line to the top of the watercourse, mark your pool water level. Plug each and every hole that you find with waterfall foam and give the foam about thirty minutes to set up (wear gloves). Repair the concrete "berm" using Top 'n Bond (concrete that will stick to concrete......wet the existing surface prior to putting the Top 'n Bond on top of it. Once it's cured, start up the pump. After an hour of continual use, check you pool water level and determine how much water you're losing (gallons per hour). Keep plugging away at it until you get to an "acceptable" water loss value.

Once you're satisfied with the fix, coat the concrete watercourse with Pond Shield or a similar product.

You didn't state where you live, so weather is definitely going to be a factor in the movement of this structure.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Waterfall foam? Pond Shield? This is exactly why I came here. Thank you so much.
I have a lot to learn, and talking wth people that have done it before is sure a confidence builder.
Location is western Washington. Not a lot of sub-zero, but world-class rain.

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Top 'n Bond.jpg Waterfall Foam.jpg Pond Shield.jpg

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Ah! The old 'guaranteed-to-crack' poured concrete pond.
I must agree with Lisak1. Demoing the concrete basins and replacing the concrete with 45 mil EPDM is the surest dependable solution. Patching cracked concrete, although it may be satisfactorily done, will leak again at some future date. The costs for each option may be similar but permanent results will only be achieved using an EPDM liner.

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
True. All he's got to do to accomplish that is completely de-construct, then reconstruct. Still no scale as to the stones, but I do think that large equipment will be needed. Large equipment equals larger dollars.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
If that is a 42"railing, then those are 5 and 6 foot diameter boulders.
An excavator and a crew that knows what they're doing would definitely be needed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Agreed - it won't be easy. But do it once and you'll never have to worry about it again. And you've already got everything in place and know the end result will be fantastic!

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
If that is a 42"railing, then those are 5 and 6 foot diameter boulders.
An excavator and a crew that knows what they're doing would definitely be needed.

That's a big job that will require at the very least an excavator/backhoe capable of lifting and shifting 2 tons, that's a full-size machine, no Kioti or Kubota. Coupled with the slope and the purported rainfall amounts, it is a challenge. Machines are going to tear up the surrounding landscape in the process of doing this work, that will need to be repaired on the way out as will a diversionary system constructed downslope.

In order to place an EPDM, the entire stream course needs to be dismantled, the new course dug (in stepped form), padded, then lined. The stones are a bit of a challenge given their dimensions, many would need to be split. It will require some careful thought and planning as to the stone placement. You'll need to determine where you'll place the stones while this work is being done. Don't stack them. The one you want right now will always be on the bottom. It always amazes me that people use stone of such dimensions that lifting or moving it at some point in the future will require heavy equipment.

As to the pool at the end of the watercourse, that's the easiest part. Simply pad it and line it. I'd be interested to see if there's a bottom drain in that pool. There's no mention of any type of filtration for this set-up, either.

Any way that you flip it, this is going to be an expensive one. There was no mention of budget, either which I why I suggested the fill/patch route. It might not be perfect, but it's relatively easy and will have it up and running with the least amount of effort and the least amount of dollars in the least amount of time. At least it'll be running until such time as budget permits the liner-route. My fix suggestion could last for many years, after all, those stones have been settling for some time.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
That's a big job that will require at the very least an excavator/backhoe capable of lifting and shifting 2 tons, that's a full-size machine, no Kioti or Kubota. Coupled with the slope and the purported rainfall amounts, it is a challenge. Machines are going to tear up the surrounding landscape in the process of doing this work, that will need to be repaired on the way out as will a diversionary system constructed downslope.

In order to place an EPDM, the entire stream course needs to be dismantled, the new course dug (in stepped form), padded, then lined. The stones are a bit of a challenge given their dimensions, many would need to be split. It will require some careful thought and planning as to the stone placement. You'll need to determine where you'll place the stones while this work is being done. Don't stack them. The one you want right now will always be on the bottom. It always amazes me that people use stone of such dimensions that lifting or moving it at some point in the future will require heavy equipment.

As to the pool at the end of the watercourse, that's the easiest part. Simply pad it and line it. I'd be interested to see if there's a bottom drain in that pool. There's no mention of any type of filtration for this set-up, either.

Any way that you flip it, this is going to be an expensive one. There was no mention of budget, either which I why I suggested the fill/patch route. It might not be perfect, but it's relatively easy and will have it up and running with the least amount of effort and the least amount of dollars in the least amount of time. At least it'll be running until such time as budget permits the liner-route. My fix suggestion could last for many years, after all, those stones have been settling for some time.

Yep.
I would work work with what was there first before I would attempt a rebuild.
(Unless money was no object. Nothing wrong with that)

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Hence my suggestion for working with what's there. Sometimes the patch is the best way forward.

Imagination is limited only by budget. You don't need a 12guage to hunt mosquitos. It's effective but the collateral damage...............

Ask a Question