New pond owner

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Brittany Parisi, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Brittany Parisi

Brittany Parisi

hi I’m a new pond owner in south FL I have a 650 gallon pond I just started with a 1200gph biofilter fountain. It’s only 4 weeks old and I jumped the gun and put 10 small gold fish it in it. That’s when the water turned dark green and the top water has a lot of white bubbles from the fountain. I’ve herd of new pond syndrome but my fish are not showing signs off illness so far and it’s been over a week so far. I’m not sure what to do now? I used a blue tint dye in the beginning bc I was told it would help with algae but I think i made it worse... help!

Attached Files:

Brittany Parisi, Jul 14, 2018
    haver79 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Brittany Parisi

MitchM

Welcome Brittany!

You really need to get a liquid water quality test kit and post the results here asap.
    Algae protects your fish to a point, but too much can be a bad thing.
    API makes the best kit that most of us use.
    https://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?p=details&id=670#.W0nobC0ZNhE

Also pick up a separate KH/GH test kit and let us know the results.
    https://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?sectionid=1&catid=18&subcatid=0&id=587#.W0no1y0ZNhE

Florida has a bad problem with high phosphate levels in the water. Make sure the master test kit has a phosphate kit included. If a phosphate test isn't included, get one.
    Once we have the numerical results from your testing, we can help.
    Don't add anything else to your pond for now.

MitchM, Jul 14, 2018
    Brittany Parisi, qclabrat and Mmathis like this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Brittany Parisi

Lisak1

Welcome @Brittany Parisi !

@MitchM will give you good advice when you get those numbers. And as he said, in the meantime don't add any thing else to the pond. Too many new pond owners start the chemical chase - one product leads to another problem which leads to another product and so on. New pond syndrome can last for weeks - patience is your best friend right now. And it won't hurt your fish - they don't care if the water is clear.

One thing you can safely do is get some plants in your pond. Floating plants or marginal plants will be the most helpful as they will begin to consume the nutrients that are causing the algae overgrowth.

Stick with us and you'll soon be sharing photos of happy fish in a lovely pond!

Lisak1, Jul 14, 2018
    qclabrat, Tula, Mmathis and 1 other person like this.
  4. Brittany Parisi

Brittany Parisi

Thank you guys so much! I will post those results ASAP and do exactly as told and not mess with it. I really appreciate the help I have no clue what I’m doing but I’m trying to learn :)

Brittany Parisi, Jul 14, 2018
    Tula, MitchM and Lisak1 like this.
  5. Brittany Parisi

Mmathis TurtleMommy

@Brittany Parisi Hello and welcome! Ditto the advice regarding water testing. I don’t do it often anymore, but when my pond was new, I probably tested twice a week. In the beginning, I kept a graph of my results and it was fascinating to actually SEE when the pond was cycling: ammonia spike, followed by nitrite spike......though I’ve never had a detectable nitrate spike.......too many plants, I guess.

Mmathis, Jul 14, 2018
  6. Brittany Parisi

Sparky

Welcome. I’ll just echo everyone here. You didn’t mess up. Just leave the chemicals alone and start testing. Get plants! Even just some water lettuce. That algae needs competition. Fish that small in 600+ gallons should mean ammonia is still in check. Your fish should be just fine. Don’t sweat the green water. Follow the advice given here and clear water will happen faster than you think.

Sparky, Jul 14, 2018
  7. Brittany Parisi

j.w I Love my Goldies

j.w, Jul 15, 2018
    Brittany Parisi likes this.
  8. Brittany Parisi

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Welcome to our group! Agree with all said above.

addy1, Jul 15, 2018
  9. Brittany Parisi

Stephen Noble

Welcome! Agree with testing the water. If ammonia or nitrites are detected, suggest adding something like Seachem Stability.

Stephen Noble, Jul 16, 2018
    Brittany Parisi and Sparky like this.
  10. Brittany Parisi

sissy sissy

if you have ammonia a safer stuff is zeolite rather than chemicals .They use it in horse stalls all the time .It is ground finer for horse stalls but pet stores sell it in rock size for fish tanks .It can be refreshed often unlike activated carbon

sissy, Jul 16, 2018
    Brittany Parisi and Tara like this.
  11. Brittany Parisi

qclabrat

Welcome, looking forward to your progress. You've got plenty of great help already. I tested my water daily, but that was because my pH and ammonia numbers were high till they stabilized, when I started my pond last year.

qclabrat, Jul 17, 2018
  12. Brittany Parisi

sissy sissy

ph can be stabilized with crushed oyster shells from tractor supply ,they are used for chickens .

sissy, Jul 17, 2018
  13. Brittany Parisi

carolinaguy

the best action to take with goldfish is to do nothing. just stop feeding. they will be fine. that stops the nitrate cycle from growing and helps you stabilize your pond over time. you simply need time to let the pond mature. there is enough food already in the pond to feed the fish, especially if you have plants. we just left our pond for 8 days when we traveled, and the 57 fish were just as fat and fine as when we left. algae is about 70 percent protein and is also a marine protein which is better for fish anyway. the nitrosomas and nitrobacter colonies just need time to establish. nitrobacter wont begin to develop until maybe 6 weeks after ammonia begins to be converted to nitrites, and nitrite is their food. as the colonies build, your pond can remove chemical waste just fine. the most important step in establishment is to provide lots of oxygen exchange. overdo it. we have a member with a championship pond who has his pond so heavily supported with air that you can't even see the fish for the bubbles. that sounds extreme but there is real science behind that method. our pond doesn't have that level of obscuration, but i have two alita air pumps running seven air stones in addition to four waterfalls. the more aerobic your environment the less anaerobic it is, and an anaerobic environment is what promotes bad bacterial growth. test for ammonia and pH, add baking soda so that the water is at 7.2 or so, and enjoy your fish. the pond will take care of itself. when the ammonia approaches zero, start feeding again. its easy.

carolinaguy, Jul 17, 2018
  14. Brittany Parisi

Lisak1

@carolinaguy - have you ever posted pictures of your pond? I'd love to see it!

Lisak1, Jul 17, 2018
    Tara likes this.
  15. Brittany Parisi

Tara

Congrats on your new pond. You have got lots of great advice to help you get going. Mega pond has a great sale on pond plants now, if you are looking. I got a bunch of oxygenating plants 40 percent off. Well worth it as I followed the advice here, and my water is getting clearer every day.

Tara, Jul 17, 2018
  16. Brittany Parisi

carolinaguy

Eventually. There are a couple of installations I need to complete before the look is complete. Maybe next week.

carolinaguy, Jul 17, 2018
  17. Brittany Parisi

Mmathis TurtleMommy

But, what you don’t seem to understand.....we really enjoy seeing “the build” and “the process” that goes into a pond! That’s the best part!

Mmathis, Jul 17, 2018
    Tara and Lisak1 like this.
  18. Brittany Parisi

carolinaguy

There will be a remaining build to see. That said for what we need to clean up, no peeking. You will like the result we think.

carolinaguy, Jul 18, 2018
  19. Brittany Parisi

Mmathis TurtleMommy

Ah, you know what they say, “No pictures means it never happened!”

Mmathis, Jul 18, 2018
    ShawnInfirmity likes this.
  20. Brittany Parisi

ShawnInfirmity

ShawnInfirmity, Jul 18, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question