New pond owner

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
hi I’m a new pond owner in south FL I have a 650 gallon pond I just started with a 1200gph biofilter fountain. It’s only 4 weeks old and I jumped the gun and put 10 small gold fish it in it. That’s when the water turned dark green and the top water has a lot of white bubbles from the fountain. I’ve herd of new pond syndrome but my fish are not showing signs off illness so far and it’s been over a week so far. I’m not sure what to do now? I used a blue tint dye in the beginning bc I was told it would help with algae but I think i made it worse... help!

Attachments

• 900041C9-5426-432D-9F23-CFAE43408717.jpeg
    900041C9-5426-432D-9F23-CFAE43408717.jpeg
    356.1 KB · Views: 277
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Welcome Brittany!

You really need to get a liquid water quality test kit and post the results here asap.
Algae protects your fish to a point, but too much can be a bad thing.
API makes the best kit that most of us use.
https://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?p=details&id=670#.W0nobC0ZNhE

Also pick up a separate KH/GH test kit and let us know the results.
https://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?sectionid=1&catid=18&subcatid=0&id=587#.W0no1y0ZNhE

Florida has a bad problem with high phosphate levels in the water. Make sure the master test kit has a phosphate kit included. If a phosphate test isn't included, get one.
Once we have the numerical results from your testing, we can help.
Don't add anything else to your pond for now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @Brittany Parisi !

@MitchM will give you good advice when you get those numbers. And as he said, in the meantime don't add any thing else to the pond. Too many new pond owners start the chemical chase - one product leads to another problem which leads to another product and so on. New pond syndrome can last for weeks - patience is your best friend right now. And it won't hurt your fish - they don't care if the water is clear.

One thing you can safely do is get some plants in your pond. Floating plants or marginal plants will be the most helpful as they will begin to consume the nutrients that are causing the algae overgrowth.

Stick with us and you'll soon be sharing photos of happy fish in a lovely pond!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Brittany Parisi Hello and welcome! Ditto the advice regarding water testing. I don’t do it often anymore, but when my pond was new, I probably tested twice a week. In the beginning, I kept a graph of my results and it was fascinating to actually SEE when the pond was cycling: ammonia spike, followed by nitrite spike......though I’ve never had a detectable nitrate spike.......too many plants, I guess.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
Welcome. I’ll just echo everyone here. You didn’t mess up. Just leave the chemicals alone and start testing. Get plants! Even just some water lettuce. That algae needs competition. Fish that small in 600+ gallons should mean ammonia is still in check. Your fish should be just fine. Don’t sweat the green water. Follow the advice given here and clear water will happen faster than you think.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
if you have ammonia a safer stuff is zeolite rather than chemicals .They use it in horse stalls all the time .It is ground finer for horse stalls but pet stores sell it in rock size for fish tanks .It can be refreshed often unlike activated carbon

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Welcome, looking forward to your progress. You've got plenty of great help already. I tested my water daily, but that was because my pH and ammonia numbers were high till they stabilized, when I started my pond last year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
the best action to take with goldfish is to do nothing. just stop feeding. they will be fine. that stops the nitrate cycle from growing and helps you stabilize your pond over time. you simply need time to let the pond mature. there is enough food already in the pond to feed the fish, especially if you have plants. we just left our pond for 8 days when we traveled, and the 57 fish were just as fat and fine as when we left. algae is about 70 percent protein and is also a marine protein which is better for fish anyway. the nitrosomas and nitrobacter colonies just need time to establish. nitrobacter wont begin to develop until maybe 6 weeks after ammonia begins to be converted to nitrites, and nitrite is their food. as the colonies build, your pond can remove chemical waste just fine. the most important step in establishment is to provide lots of oxygen exchange. overdo it. we have a member with a championship pond who has his pond so heavily supported with air that you can't even see the fish for the bubbles. that sounds extreme but there is real science behind that method. our pond doesn't have that level of obscuration, but i have two alita air pumps running seven air stones in addition to four waterfalls. the more aerobic your environment the less anaerobic it is, and an anaerobic environment is what promotes bad bacterial growth. test for ammonia and pH, add baking soda so that the water is at 7.2 or so, and enjoy your fish. the pond will take care of itself. when the ammonia approaches zero, start feeding again. its easy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Congrats on your new pond. You have got lots of great advice to help you get going. Mega pond has a great sale on pond plants now, if you are looking. I got a bunch of oxygenating plants 40 percent off. Well worth it as I followed the advice here, and my water is getting clearer every day.

Ask a Question