New pond - bog filter, waterfall or both?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Agree don't trim every time I have, I have regretted it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Almost there! Despite the high temps, we nearly finished the pond after work today. Still will be wiring up an outside outlet on the back side of the "she shed" which is next to the pond. That will clean up the control box and give me another plug to run the lights. Also will be cleaning up the dirt mound in the back to make it look less like a pile and more natural. Also will be adding two large canna lillies and a japanese maple. Just have to decide what variety we want. Oh yeah, and some feeder goldfish next weekend. Whew, still a lot to do I guess!

20200622_203841.jpg
20200622_195556.jpg

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Nice work. Is the mulch bed around the pond higher than the pond? My first pond was like that, whenever it rained hard I had the worst runoff into the pond, water quality issues and always full of mulch. If so and you didn’t cut the liner you may want to tweak it a bit to prevent runoff into the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Nice work. Is the mulch bed around the pond higher than the pond? My first pond was like that, whenever it rained hard I had the worst runoff into the pond, water quality issues and always full of mulch. If so and you didn’t cut the liner you may want to tweak it a bit to prevent runoff into the pond.

The mulch is higher than the waterlevel, but not much if any will be able to get past the rocks. I put pea gravel in between the rocks on the borders and the liner/underlayment is folded up under the rocks. I'm hoping this will be sufficient to keep debris out of the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
Pressure can be controlled with pipe sizing. Larger pipe- less pressure more volume. Smaller pipe- more pressure, to push the same volume.
Mine runs ~ 1psi at ~89gpm, or 5340gph, with 2" pipe. I can adjust the flow through the bog via valves, and a bypass which returns directly to the pond. Running at about 75% through the bog and 25% bypass, it turns over in about 2 hours.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The mulch is higher than the waterlevel, but not much if any will be able to get past the rocks. I put pea gravel in between the rocks on the borders and the liner/underlayment is folded up under the rocks. I'm hoping this will be sufficient to keep debris out of the pond.
Doesn’t really matter if the mulch is higher than the water level, as long as the sides of your pond are higher than the mulch you Should be fine. Most build up the edge of the pond a little bit where the liner meets the mulch and have the ground around the pond run away from it. This way during downpours water can’t push debris and dirt into the pond.

Looks like your a bit higher. Nice job on the pond, looks like a nice spot to relax on your back patio.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It's been quite a while and wanted to share how the pond has grown in. It's starting to get cooler here in Northern California finally, and I think the lilies have perhaps one or two more blooms to go before winter. I'm starting to plan out a bog filter above the waterfall, and a longer stream type waterfall below. Should be a fun winter project.

Pond - October 2020.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice job both of you. ONE note if you start loosing water look at your bark mulch as it can wick the water up and it can be quite a lot . very tranquil and you chose the right fish but keep the numbers low they will breed and resists feeding them once the algae starts to grow

Ask a Question