New pond build this spring

Reaction score
Country
United States
What makers or retailers would you recommend in the Philly area or mailorder to obtain the basic elements for installation? We're looking at a ca. 25'x30' pond. Would you recommend buying individual elements or a kit. I've been looking at the Savio Signature kits. Appreciate any guidance for a newcomer!

Thanks, Thaddeus

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome. Since you’re looking for Savio, have you tried their website? Websites are good about including links to retailers (either online retailers, or brick & mortar).

As far as whether to go with a kit vs buying individually, there are members here who have done both, so maybe some of them will chime in with their experiences. I bought all of my components separately, because at the time, I wanted that choice rather than having to “settle” for what came in the kit, but that choice will come down to convenience vs practicality vs economics vs any number of other factors.

The most important purchase you will make is the liner — don’t economize on your liner. Pumps and filters can be replaced fairly easily, but if you get a cheap liner…..you have to quite literally restart from the ground up!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello and welcome. Since you’re looking for Savio, have you tried their website? Websites are good about including links to retailers (either online retailers, or brick & mortar).

As far as whether to go with a kit vs buying individually, there are members here who have done both, so maybe some of them will chime in with their experiences. I bought all of my components separately, because at the time, I wanted that choice rather than having to “settle” for what came in the kit, but that choice will come down to convenience vs practicality vs economics vs any number of other factors.

The most important purchase you will make is the liner — don’t economize on your liner. Pumps and filters can be replaced fairly easily, but if you get a cheap liner…..you have to quite literally restart from the ground up!
Thank you so much for this note! I've been doing some basic research - can you recommend any only or publication resources that are go-to sources - I've been reading lots of different opinions about design and management - trying to navigate the space. Aside from the liner, what are the essential elements that you need? I feel like the kits may be offering more bells than one needs to get started...

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1646766429165.gif
@Locus Solus

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just put this together a pond that size is a undertaking it can be fairly simplistic or it can get quite intricate i built similar and have all kinds of learning experiances and what if's in here https://www.gardenpondforum.com/showcase/gbbudds-12-000-gallon-koi-pond-full-build-and-layout.141/

Depending on what your looking at putting together and your lot you may want to think about hiring a pro and in new jersey you have one of the best being atlantis water garden you can find him on youtube

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Welcome. You are envisioning a large pond! The folks on this site have good ideas, and the questions and problems that the group has asked and solved should be helpful. I got a pond kit from a reputable supplier (no longer sells retail) and it was helpful to have all the parts supplied. But if you are going to hire a pro to install the pond, many of them will not use another supplier's pond equipment, so research and decide if you'll hire a pro or do it yourself before you commit to the kit purchase. Kits that use the components from major suppliers are more likely to have replacement parts and for you to find someone to help troubleshoot down the line. Hope this is helpful. Enjoy the build, and send pictures as you go.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I just put this together a pond that size is a undertaking it can be fairly simplistic or it can get quite intricate i built similar and have all kinds of learning experiances and what if's in here https://www.gardenpondforum.com/showcase/gbbudds-12-000-gallon-koi-pond-full-build-and-layout.141/

Depending on what your looking at putting together and your lot you may want to think about hiring a pro and in new jersey you have one of the best being atlantis water garden you can find him on youtube
Jaak Harju! I second GBUDD's comment: look up Atlantis Water Gardens on YouTube. He also collaborates with many of the other Aquascape pond contractors and is one of their Artists of the Year. GORGEOUS ponds if that is in your budget.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
an other contractor in pa but is more to the west is tusey landscaping

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone