New pond build..

Poured ICf pond with gabion walls.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Very cool. Love the bridge. Want to do a little pondless with bridge to front door when I redo our front yard. Looks like new home build as well? Did your builder install that or did you install?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It’s new construction, it’s what I do by trade. I hired a company to frame the house and than my wife and I finished it. I worked in the pond industry as well for a bunch of years and just used my knowledge to make a cool unique feature that compliments the modern look of the house. Sounds like you have a plan for your project…keep at it! It’s so rewarding the finish product.

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Elegant and minimalistic look which complements the house design - absolutely lovely!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Very cool, Love the house too!
I recently built my house with ICF (love that stuff!!!) and there was already a 22,718 US gallons pond on site when we bought the plot...sounds great but it is not!!!
The pond is in the wrong location to be viewed from the house, it is of poor blockwork construction, leaks like a sieve, has zero filtration, a pump that died during the build process (which meant I never had time to properly sort the whole thing out), and it is surrounded by oak and maple trees, and you can guess how much of an issue that is with leaves!!!
Massive job to dig a new one in a better location and fill the old one and I think my better half is sick of me hiring excavators and making a mess!!! So I think we will just tidy it up and enjoy it as much as we can!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Very cool, Love the house too!
I recently built my house with ICF (love that stuff!!!) and there was already a 22,718 US gallons pond on site when we bought the plot...sounds great but it is not!!!
The pond is in the wrong location to be viewed from the house, it is of poor blockwork construction, leaks like a sieve, has zero filtration, a pump that died during the build process (which meant I never had time to properly sort the whole thing out), and it is surrounded by oak and maple trees, and you can guess how much of an issue that is with leaves!!!
Massive job to dig a new one in a better location and fill the old one and I think my better half is sick of me hiring excavators and making a mess!!! So I think we will just tidy it up and enjoy it as much as we can!
of course you COULD suggest to your better half that the pond be filled in. And when you get an enthusiastic head nod for that idea, calmly suggest 'well, that mean's we'll have to bring in some topsoil', which will justify the contractors coming back and any new messes. Don't hesitate here and brilliantly say 'BUT! no problem, we have all that 'other' yard space--we'll just take it from there!'

Now, the trick will be to NOT mention exactly how you're going to do this. Get the contractor in, tell them to dig in the PLACE YOU WISH the pond was, and take ALL THAT dirt out, fill in the old pond, thus creating a NEW hole, right where you want it and covering the old. Gotta work fast now and you'll have to be prepared with a NEW liner already on site! Quickly roll it in (pizza and beer for the contractors) , place some dirt and rocks (you know, the ones you 'found' while filling in the old hole ;) ) on the edges and PRAY for rain. If you're lucky and the pond gods are smilin' atcha, the hole will fill and your new pond is right were you want it without anyone suspecting a thing.

DON'T let your partner near the project during this time--from a distance, it's really hard to tell the depth aof ANY hole. Say stuff like 'it's really muddy down there right now and I don't want you to dirty up your ensemble'. Another trick might be to buy something REALLY special from their wishlist--and it should MORE than the price of the new liner because you might have to justify its cost some day and the wishlist present is a nice counter!

Nefarious? Some might call this plan that but I just look at it with @Jhn 's advice; better to ask forgiveness than permission!

heh heh
smilie sword twirl.gif

Ask a Question