New pond lots of questions

Reaction score
I have some knowledge about ponds my father in law use to have one.
The problem i am having is information overload!
First question i do have is my local pond guy said i should let my new pond turn green before using my uv light he said this will set up the good bacteria
any ideas?
thank you

Reaction score
the pond is about 1000 gall and i live near the shore in new jersey
do you run the uv light every day even after the pond has cleared up

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
green is algae and no one likes algae and do not understand that except for the fact that the good bacteria need time to colonize and maybe he is telling you that because he does not want the uv to interfere with the good stuff .But then again when you get algae growing it is one of the hardest things to get rid of .I left my pond empty for close to 2 months to get the good bacteria growing but I never let it go green .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have never had a uv and my pond is in full sun most of the day and I live in the south and I was from Edison NJ and had a pond there but no fish but no green water either .I just had plants and a large concrete fountain in the middle .Thats why I did not have fish less to tend too since I worked so much .Now retired and I have little bit bigger pond with koi and goldies but never want green water

Reaction score
if i do let it get green then i use the uv light to clean it up should i run the uv light after it is clear my pond is in full sun do i run the uv 24/7

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
good bacteria doesnt free float, it colonizes solid surfaces in your pond and filter...if you let your pond green up slightly. then turn on your U.V the dead alge will supply some food for the bacteria as it breaks down..but the byproduct of the bacteria will in turn feed the alge if your pond doesnt have sufficient plantlife to use the nutrients before the alge can feed.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Not many here run there uv's 24?7 here just run it to clear water then turn it off .I test my water and adjust it with baking soda and oyster shells .It usually stays around 7 or 8 and not may problems but I have 2 filters and 2 waterfalls plus a new air pump that has psi of 5.8 and I use lava rock in my filters but there are tons of things others use that work also .I like my lava rock have had luck with them more than other things I have tried not sure what your pond is like need more info ,for us all to tell you

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
good bacteria doesnt free float, it colonizes solid surfaces in your pond and filter...if you let your pond green up slightly. then turn on your U.V the dead alge will supply some food for the bacteria as it breaks down..but the byproduct of the bacteria will in turn feed the alge if your pond doesnt have sufficient plantlife to use the nutrients before the alge can feed.

thank you for the help
one last question when the pond clears up do i run the uv light every day ?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomeblue6.gif
JDKR2011

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have never used a UV light in my pond, when I first built it I had a lot of algae it took a while to get the filter seeded and on top of that it sat in full hot sun all day. Once I got the filter seeded, added fish, and plenty of plants then it all fell into place. I do add some biological bacteria and barley concentrate to help keep everything in check. When I do get a break out of algae I just go out every evening and spend 15 min. scooping it out. I think you could probably do without it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
thats true malak I guess thats why I really don't want one will make to lazy to find out whats wrong ,Just went into town to take water to get tested and was a great test except for ph was at 6.5 he said ,But I guess it could have been worse .He said it could have been because I just did a 10% water change 2 days ago and did not give it enough and actually it was a tad more than 10% forgot to turn water off and was planting around the pond oooops .Went to home depot 3 cold hardy palms 1 was 9.98 and manager was there and said I wanted the last 2 could have them each 5 dollars how could you pass that up they were originally 19.98 each ,he needed them gone he said .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't use a uv light, but my filter is a bog. The pond needs to settle and stabilize. Good plant growth will really help you, parrots feather lilies etc.

There are some that use the uv light and like how it works, but you can do without once you get your pond going.

Post a picture of you pond we love to see them and it helps us visualize what you are dealing with.

I didn't see if you have fish or not, hydrogen peroxide 1 liter per 1000 gallons can help with algae. Have good water movement if you use it, some like to use it some don't............lol I have heard it affects koi, I have goldies

and Welcome!
another-fish-welcome.gif

Make sure you test your water to keep it healthy for the fish, you can get a cheap kit from petsmart, off the net, a lot of places. The liquid ones are more accurate.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I saw a uv light on one those sights that show how it works and it works best if the water goes through the uv slowly or it cannot do it's job right .The slower the water goes through the better it works not sure but thats what they said

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
sissy said:
I saw a uv light on one those sights that show how it works and it works best if the water goes through the uv slowly or it cannot do it's job right .The slower the water goes through the better it works not sure but thats what they said

That is what I heard too sissy, slower is better.

Ask a Question