New Pond under a year old

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I am a new pond person and excited to be here. I am in the US in New York and the pond is about 10ft by 12 ft and about 2 ft deep (no clue how many gallons that is) it also has a waterfall going into it, filter, sump, aerator. I do not want Koi but am looking for some interesting fish or creatures to keep in the pond that can withstand the winter and are somewhat self sufficient since sometimes I am gone for a couple months at a time. Right now I just have some tadpoles, red rosy minnows and some trapdoor snails. I was considering weather loaches and am open to any interesting fish that could do well. I have a built in cave. Not sure what else to add but hopefully can get a few suggestions here. Very small catfish?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomefrogs24.gif
@PondNYW
I like the Shubunkin goldfish. Look kinda like koi only smaller. Nice calico and other type of colored markings.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!
Two things about the question for stocking your pond:
The depth of your pond and self-sufficiency during your absence for a couple of months.
Is your absence during the winter? If during the pond season, you will need to have someone care for your pond.
Depth could be a real issue if you live say, in the Adirondacks with seriously hard, extended freezes. If so, do you have some way to keep a hole in the ice?
Just based on the information you provided; I would very lightly stock the pond if at all. You might consider just letting nature take it and see what happens for a year to two.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
1795 gallons plus minus . gold fish can look very much like a koi the colors just do not get as radical. but these fish can go months on end with no intervention

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

I would stick with shubunkins also.

Ask a Question