New pump guestion.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My simple setup uses a above ground pool pump. It’s an 8 years old 300 gallon buried watering trough with a raised 75 gal filter bog. Water is drawn from the pond into a filter box and back into the pond by gravity. The pump is a cheap no name that I would like to replace with a higher capacity unit . Would anyone have a recommendation of which pump to use? Self priming and able to pass some debris, not leaves, a necessity. I prefer an exterior pump because of heat and noise. All input greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The number one thing you need to find out is head height and energy efficiency of what ever pump you pick .I have submersable pumps and I do not know much about external so will leave that to others

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think @addy1 uses some good external brand of a pump for her big huge pond. I only use submersibles in my 2400 gal pond. I have no noise or heat from mine as it lays on the bottom of the pond hooked up to a pre-filter and then outflows to the waterfall. I like Laguna brand. Had Pondmaster for many years and it was good also and lasted for 15 yrs or more.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When you say "Self Priming" do you mean it'll sit way above water level out of the pond and you simply want to switch it on and it'll suck air till it pulls in water on its own? I think that's a big ask. The kind of impellors we usually see in pond pumps can't do that.

For my pond I've just ordered the Hozelock AquaForce 8000 pump.

It's a standard submersible pump but I notice that the documentation says it doesn't actually need to be submersed. They say it's amphibious in that it can work just as well outside of the pond.
But it can not suck air to prime itself. You have to submerge it, allow it to fill before switching it on. Then you can position it outside of the pond.

In my case though I'm going to run it submerged.

But if you don't mind priming it underwater before switching on then maybe something like that will work for you?

I'm guessing a decent pond pump that can really prime itself - ie suck air for as long as it takes to lift water - is going to cost a bit.

Last edited:

Ask a Question