New to GFP

Reaction score
Howdy all.

I'm new here. My wife and I have had a small pond (maybe 300 gallons) with two koi in it for about 8 years. Earlier this winter, it was about 15 degrees outside, our hard shell liner split.:cool: They had really needed to be moved out of there, anyway. It was too small for them. We had no choice but to clean out a Rubbermaid horse watering trough, rig it with a few small pumps and filters, and put the koi in it in the living room. That's where they are today.

However, the pond gods smiled upon me finally. The weather cooperated, the backhoe was available, and I was home, FINALLY, all at the same time.

My wife wanted about a 1,000 gallon pond. I wanted a 2,000 gallon pond. She left me at home with a backhoe, completely unattended, so now we have a 6,000 gallon pond!!!:lol:: Actually, the smaller pond was always her thing, but I enjoyed sitting next to it in the evening. For her birthday, I was going to enlarge the pond, rather than just repair the old, smaller pond. Now, I'm really getting into it. I am really going to enjoy making something that is unique. So many ideas, so little back strength!!:lol: I haven't used a shovel this much or picked up so many huge rocks in my life!!! But it really is relaxing in a strange sort of way.

We now have the start on a 13' x 25' x 3' pond. It's dug, the liner is in, and it's full of water!!! It has a few plants and some mosquito fish in it. We have just about everything, but are waiting on the pump to be delivered, and for me to make up my mind about the waterfall. Hopefully, in a few days, we'll to get it far enough to put the koi in.

We now have 5 koi. The original two are about 18-24" long. We had NO idea they'd get that big when we bought them as little 4 inch fish at Petsmart 8 years ago!! One is a orange/white/black butterfly, and the other one is solid yellow. THe new 3 are white, and one of them has a black stripe down his back. They are only about 6 inches long. They arrived a little earlier than expected, and the pump is arriving later than expected. Oh, well.

I have plenty of questions, so I'll post in some of the other forums. CAn't wait to get this thing done!! Actually, I doubt it's ever going to truly be done. Right now, I'll be happy with "done for now" because, if it's like our other small pond, we'll be changing things around a lot. It'll most likely always be a work in progress.

I have pics of the build, but need a few more posts to post them.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Are they ever truely done? I don't think so.LOL mine has been a work in progress for over 3 years. I was talking with the wife yesterday and asking her thoughts about formal and informal pond builds. Her response was "whichever one hides the plumbing better".LOL
Right now my plumbing is visable as I fine tune it all.

Reaction score
I actually am interest in GFP koi, as in "green fluorescent protein". I know that they are starting to offer aquarium fish that are flourscent and I'm wondering if anyone has seen the same thing in koi breeding? Yeah, I know, weird, fish that glow in the dark. Who'd a figured?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomesylandtweety-1.gif
Paddletrucker

Members online

Forum statistics