New to having a Pond & Koi

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
rdk said:
Because you have fish in the pond have you tested the water for PH and nitrites, ammonia? RDK

Yes, a few times I've brought the water to Petco and they said it is spot on. I put in some Clorine reducer because my hose water may have too much initially...

rdk

Reaction score
I would invest in the liquid test kits for PH and Ammonia first. I found that high Ammonia shows up first and then effects nitrites. I would not trust the store but If they are right then you have time to do you water changes and get your filter. RDK

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Nitrites are affected by ammonia because they come from the break down of ammonia and nitrates come from the beak down of nitrites...nitrates are used as food by your plants...this is all accomplished by aerobic bacteria ..the function of a bio filter is to give this bacteria home to do its work...in a controlled enviroment.

Reaction score
If you have a harbor freight near you they have a 258 gph pump for 15 bucks. Im running two of them now in my 85 gal pond and I built a DIY filter for around 10 bucks from a black 5 gal. bucket from walmart. Water is perfect, fish are happy and friendly. Diy section tells you how to build the filter.

rdk

Reaction score
Go to search - small diy filters Then go to Diy pond-arium {small pond} go to Chrysalis posting Go down to Jason 08 1180 and play his vidio. Use bullheads in building you will not be sorry. RDK

Reaction score
Koikeeper and everyone above know their stuff. You'll learn a lot from them. I love the duck, hippo and turtle. Cool fountain too!

Reaction score
stroppy said:
the fountain does look a bit to powerfull and i could be way off but the duck might just be scaring the fish ... also you need some plants to give them some cover and like everyone else says you need some kind of filter :0)

The fish just need to get use to their new surrounding.

At the beginning of the spring we had 3 mallards visiting our pond every day .. several times a day. Now it's just two males, as I"m sure the hen had little ones.

When they first came my koi were always on the bottom of the pond hiding. Now after a month, they try to eat the ducks feet.

They'll figure out that when you arrive at the pond they'll get food. Soon they will be at the top, since they are "starving to death".

Reaction score
From the pic it looks like your pond is right by some kind of sidewalk. Man, I wouldn't want everyone to be able to mess around with my pond like that. But maybe you live at the end of the road or in a very small town or something where no one will come along and bother it.

Ask a Question