Newbie Build and Question Thread...

Reaction score
sentrek said:
All I know, which isn't much about ponds yet, but I know trolling and reading around on this site and you tube that many people run far less than 10% with decent results, on the other hand I don't know all the variables or the amount of maintence they do to keep the pond clean. If my filter doesn't keep up I will do something different, I mean that is the point isn't, for the pond to keep us occupied. I would much rather be fooling with that than waisting away on the couch watching reruns of storage wars, ancient aliens, or antiques roadshow... lol
Sorry to beat up on you about filter size. I dont mean any harm. I just really wish I had gone bigger the first time. While it is true that "ponding" is more enjoyable (to us) than watching TV, I prefer to drink some coffee and throw my fish some food rather than dishing out more cash and redoing things. I hope your pond plan works out great!
Im just sayin'..... with my smaller filters I had trouble seeing my pump which is about 3.5' down in the water, on a good day. Now with my bigger filters I can see the bottom, which is nearly 5', all the time.
My pond surely isn't perfect though. I dont have a bottom drain or any of that fancy stuff :)

Reaction score
No worries, I take it all as constructive criticism. Your pond looks very good if you ask me. Hopefully mine will look as nice in the end, but it certainly won't be fancy either but hopefully not ugly.

Reaction score
sentrek said:
Thanks guys I appreciate the input, but I have decided to use a 20 gallon tote in the back corner, it was the largest one home depot had (in the rigid brute type, the rubber maids didn't seem durable enough). I am hoping with a light load and partial water changes if needed it will work out ok. I am going to go ahead and put it in the back corner as original planned, I will make a removable access panel on the fence to access the drain.
Nothing against totes, have used totes, and misc other things as spare part filters, BUT be sure to keep the tote on liner area, as they can split in time.

Reaction score
sentrek said:
No worries, I take it all as constructive criticism. Your pond looks very good if you ask me. Hopefully mine will look as nice in the end, but it certainly won't be fancy either but hopefully not ugly.
If you want to see ugly, you should see all of my backyard ... so many projects going on, that all take a good deal of money in materials. Bit by bit, it will all get done.

Reaction score
capewind said:
Nothing against totes, have used totes, and misc other things as spare part filters, BUT be sure to keep the tote on liner area, as they can split in time.
Thanks for the heads up, I will see what I can come up with. As for your back yard, It looks pretty good to me, much nicer than mine.

Reaction score
Ok, So here is my filter... sorry some of the pictures are blurry.. not sure what happened there.
Ok, first picture, removed drain from the barrel and transferred it to the direct bottom of the tote, slightly off center so it wasn't directly under the inlet pipe. Next I used the typical light diffuser and two pieces of 1" pvc to support it. I did not want to use bricks or anything that will block the water flow. The water inlet is 3/4" pvc with the typical 90 degree elbows facing opposite directions. Next is one layer of the blue air filter from Home Depot (rinsed out real good as this stuff does have something soapy in it) and two layers of the blue air filter from Lowes (this stuff seams to be clean).
vnvs.jpg

ohyu.jpg

d5yk.jpg

Next I put one layer of the white pond filter media i bought from ebay and 1 more light diffuser

8lcu.jpg

ev03.jpg

Next is 300 bio balls

hstf.jpg

one more layer of the white media on top the bio balls and one more layer of the blue stuff from home depot
x1uv.jpg

finally a bag of lava rocks

2p07.jpg

and then I will probably try to get some sort of plants in there...
Hopefully this thing will work pretty good. What do you guys think?
I still have to cut the inlet down and put the 90 elbow on and connector to attach the hose.

Reaction score
sentrek said:
Thanks for the heads up, I will see what I can come up with. As for your back yard, It looks pretty good to me, much nicer than mine.
I think you may have missed the pictures that actually show the yard, and not just the pond areas. The whole backyard looks like a construction site. It WILL eventually be very nice, just need to wait it out.

Reaction score
Looks like a nice and neat job. I do NOT build filters (hubby's area) but I do wonder if much can settle on the bottom to be drained? Only wondering if the spray bar on the bottom should be raised a couple of inches??? Maybe someone else can answer this?

Reaction score
Well, I attempted to mockup my waterfall tonight, I had no creativity. I guess I will give it another go when I have more time. I am afraid I did not leave myself enough room in the back corner, I will probably have to put the falls at the left end. I need to create some sort of outlet from the filter as well.

Reaction score
Well, I picked up the rest of the stuff I need to finish the waterfall last night, and my pump is supposed to be delivered today. If my idea for the waterfall outlet pans out and I get the pump today I am hoping to have the pond up and running by tomorrow sometime. I still have a lot of work to do and its suppose to be in the high 90's today and tomorrow which that isn't going to help any.

Reaction score
Well, got most of the rocks done and waterfall but I ran out of foam. I have to finish it and stacking rocks around the filter to help hide it. I also need to install a ball valve on the pump as it overflows the filter, speaking of, is it normal for the water level to drop significately in the filter once you turn the pump off? I assume so becuase I tested it without all the media in it 5 times, I am sure its not leaking.
r8s8.jpg

cr8tivguy

Tim Thompson
Reaction score
Thank you for taking us all on your pond building adventure! Your pond is looking so good! I wish I would have documented my build a bit better. I was sitting on my patio last night with some friends-the waterfall was going (wonderful sound); the pond was illuminated and the trees were lit up. You could see the water reflecting on the side of the shed. Dang it was beautiful.

And just 6 weeks ago, I was just starting to "think" about putting in a small sitting wall.

Reaction score
I think you did a great job, Sentrek and although I dont think your filter will be big enough over the long haul, I also have been a big proponet of building what you can afford now and adding to it with bigger and better later. My own opinion on it is to PLAN and THINK hard on what you want LONG TERM and then build NOW with that in mind. What I mean by that is a little of what Sissy has said and a little of what Deiselplower has said. When I built my pond I tried to be on the tightest budget I could, like Sissy said she did, I did it all---Craigslist for my slabs of waterfall granite, store closeouts for skippy filter parts, adapting things for pond use that were designed for other uses, walking creeks for rocks, carpet store dumpsters for used carpet and pads to use for pond liner underlayments, and driving 100s of miles to get the cheapest price for a pond quality rubber liner When I built my 5000 gal. pond I just jumped in with no thought or planning what-so-ever, bought a liner and started hand digging the hole. HI-HO here I go---but then I ran into a GIANT oak stump underground, suddenly after chopping and digging around that stump my little pond I was building had morphed into a huge 10x10 foot by 6 foot deep hole and the liner I had bought for a 4x6 foot by 3 foot deep pond of course wouldnt fit. Nothing will make you reevaluate your pond like nearly 2 months of digging and chopping, LOL--so I set down the shovel, took the little liner back to Home Depot and decided that I WAS'NT going to feel that big hole in, that even though my money was budgeted for a small pond, I was going to build a BIG pond on a SMALL budget. THATS when I used the best tool any of us have, our brain--I began to plan and think of every cost saving Idea I could to make my new large plan a reality, but I also tried to think of my pond needs in the future and plan that into the design. Deiselplower's right--you will probably have to change to a bigger filter later--so PLAN for that now, since your gonna have to bury your plumbing to the small filter make the spot in a place that has the size to accomadate the larger filter later and pipe is cheap so size it for the larger filter and pump you will need later and then you wont have to dig out small pipe to replace it with larger later. also when you run electricity to the pump site, bury wire larger enough for the largest pump you will ever need (all this saves doing it twice, costing you twice and tearing up patio blocks and established landscaping plants later)--worked for me, my first waterfall pump was a cheap john, 3400 gal. an hour pump that probably put out far less--now I run an intermediate priced pump that puts out around 3800--once I add my new Bog Filter this summer I will add a new 4 to 5000 gallon pump to feed the skippy and the new bog (in the space I planned for it next to the skippy when I built the pond) and my pipe I buried 3 seasons ago is big enough to supply BOTH filters. Thats what I'm trying to say in my long winded way-- I knew I couldnt afford big fancy pumps and all the filtering that I would need later but I didnt need all that early on --BUT I needed to plan for THAT later as my fish load grew) I do like your pond and think you did a great job, but in the pictures it looks like your rubber liner is below the level of your patio blocks--if so you may want to raise the rubber level above that or nasty surface water will find its way into your pond which can be bad if it carries lawn chemicals or worse into it. Good Luck, Tim

Ask a Question