Newbie Question for the Experienced Pond Builder

Reaction score
First and foremost I'd like to introduce myself, my name is Aki and I'm from CA. Recently my friend gave me his 1500 gallon Savio Excellence Pond Kit( Base Filter, Waterfall Filter and Skimmer Filter ). Also included with the package was his 15 or so kois.

I have 2 children ages 5 years and 7 months. My fiance and I are interested in building a above ground pond constructed out of Basalite Cinder Block and Concrete Mix lined with a pond liner from Lowe's. My initial measurements for my pond are a 6ft in width, 2.5 feet in depth and 10 feet in length. I just spray painted the area that I wanted to construct the pond.

1.) Should I dig a base inside the area where I want to construct the pond, in order to lay a cement foundation to put the Basalite Cinder Block?

2.) What should I use for reinforcement to help the Cinder Block withstand the pressure from the water in the pond?

3.) Is 2.5 feet enough depth to provide the koi necessary cover from the elements( I live in California ) but sometimes we have chilly winters?

4.) How much cement mix should I put between each Cinder Block to provide enough structural support?

Like I said, I'm a total newbie to pond construction and would like the opinions and suggestions from not necessarily experienced pond builders but those that have had experience with above ground ponds. I'm sorry in advance for all the questions it's just I wanted to be sure before I lay any foundation/cement/Cinder Block/Liner.

Thank you again for your input!

Robyn

A Ponder-ing Newbie
Reaction score
I am a newbie myself... but I may have some ideas our experts can weigh in on.

What about rebar (sp?) through the holes in the cinderblock then fill with concrete? You could even make some plant shelves by laying some blocks inside the outer walls. I would worry about the sharp edges of the cinderblock though. Then some sand as a base. Lay in liner and cap with the cinder cap stones or flagstone to hide the edges. If you used flagstone as a "lip", you could also adhere them to the outside and use for the waterfall. That would be quite sharp looking!

Like I said... no clue if it would work... but might be an idea.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Welcome to the forum..
#1 I just dug a footing under my blocks..
#2 I did use rebar and webbing to help if i had a bad winter....do you even have a winter ?
#3 3 ft will give them more exercise .
#4 1/2" joint is normal but if it goes one way or the other that is what it takes

Reaction score
DrCase,

for 1.) you mean you dug a level footing of dirt for the Cinder Block. What did you use to level it out? You just laid the Cinder Block on the flat earth and started building from there?

Thanks for the input.

Ask a Question