Noticed this evolving on my baby whats going on and how should I treat it? Thanks in advance!

Abby

Nature & zen lover, Aquatic plant sales
Reaction score
Central Texas… home of the 10 month summer! ;)
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
IMG_6345.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
sorry what do you see that your trying to show us?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
ick is tiny white dots to start. cottonish looking is generally bacterial. And during winter months is the ultimate conditions for it to surfce.
The fishes immune system is not at its optimum and if conditions are not perfect some fish who have a lower immunity to infections can get issues while others look fine.

it's usually and test level that is off . like ph or kh. baking soda can do wonders for our ponds this time of year

Abby

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
ick is tiny white dots to start. cottonish looking is generally bacterial. And during winter months is the ultimate conditions for it to surfce.
The fishes immune system is not at its optimum and if conditions are not perfect some fish who have a lower immunity to infections can get issues while others look fine.

it's usually and test level that is off . like ph or kh. baking soda can do wonders for our ponds this time of year
Thank you so much! ❤️ What would be the best dosing amount, frequency, and duration for a 4600 gallon bog filtered pond with koi, goldfish, guppies, and plants? Would you recommend baking soda over pimafix? We’ve had the pond for several years and this is the first indication of any illness

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
your probably just starting to see issues as the pond ages.
dosing baking soda is relatively safe by comparison to other fixes no matter how much you add to your pond ph will not rise above 8.3 which is fine as long as it is done slowly. how ever we still don't know that that is YOUR ISSUE . need to test your water and some tests do not do well in cold temps.
but looking at your photo i would lean toward the fish scraped against a rock and removed color. like our selves scrape your skin hard enough we rash out bruis or bleed. fish are similar and if itis that and some skin / scale is on the fish but damaged it will look fuzzy at it will start to die. just like old food in the fridge. it gets moldy and we through it away but a fish can only scrape its self some more or just let it fall off. i too have a pond full of rock and often see a fish with a boo boo it heals in a couple months

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
1/4 teaspoon of pure baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) totally dissolved in 1 gallon of water, raised the measured carbonate hardness (Kh) by 12 degrees. you want you kh up close to 200

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Before you add anything, you need to test the water. You may not need baking soda if you have adequate KH. So please get some liquid testing kits for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and KH. Post the results here and we can get a better idea of what the problem might be.
Yeah that is in the posts above. That's why the dose was last they need to see if that's the problem at all it looks like it maybe just scrapping.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
sorry i'm not up on what to do for that but you can alwas google it and if you get several responses that are the same then your probably good
All parameters look good so I guess it’s just a scuff?

But….

I did spot a goldfish with popeye….

So…. Also a first…. What should I do? How should I treat?
google came up with this
One or both Eyes are popped out.​
This is called pop eye, and is caused by a Kidney Infection. Treat the Koi with Erythromycin for 10 days. This could also be the start of Abdominal Dropsy if both of the eyes are popped out.​

Abby

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
sorry i'm not up on what to do for that but you can alwas google it and if you get several responses that are the same then your probably good

google came up with this
One or both Eyes are popped out.​
This is called pop eye, and is caused by a Kidney Infection. Treat the Koi with Erythromycin for 10 days. This could also be the start of Abdominal Dropsy if both of the eyes are popped out.​
Thank you so much! ❤️ only one seems to be affected. Do I just treat the whole pond or isolate for treatment? I can research but thank you!

Ask a Question