Noticed this evolving on my baby whats going on and how should I treat it? Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thank you so much! ❤️ only one seems to be affected. Do I just treat the whole pond or isolate for treatment?
Best to do the one fish if you can . doing treatment for the whole pond maybe come necessary but if the other fish are not effected then why stress them out

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Never put antibiotics in your pond. It will kill your beneficial bacteria. Always treat in a hospital tank.

Be aware that kidney problems are very difficult to overcome and treatment can be hard on the fish, since the kidneys don't filter the medication as they should.

Would you please post the numbers for your water tests? The problems you have are usually a result of water issues.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Strips are not recommended. They are not accurate and they start to deteriorate the instant the container is opened. So they can give u reliable results.

The liquid type tests are much more accurate and will give you a more realistic idea of what is going on with your pond.

I strongly encourage you to get the liquid test kits and test your water again. There may not be any significant difference, but then, there could be, and you would have a more accurate idea of your water parameters.

Abby

Nature & zen lover, Aquatic plant sales
Reaction score
Central Texas… home of the 10 month summer! ;)
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I did both to confirm results yesterday… again with my husband checking and confirming both as well. It’s one fish that has one eye affected so I’m going to isolate and treat and go from there. Thanks to all for the responses

Abby

Nature & zen lover, Aquatic plant sales
Reaction score
Central Texas… home of the 10 month summer! ;)
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The fact that it’s only one fish and one eye that has the issue… And all water parameters were found to be healthy as confirmed by a strip test, a test tube drop test double reviewed by both myself and my husband… something as simple and non-preventable as trauma seems to be the most likely cause

I found this information that was very comprehensive and helpful so I thought I would share anyone else was dealing with something similar

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Strips are not recommended. They are not accurate and they start to deteriorate the instant the container is opened. So they can give u reliable results.

The liquid type tests are much more accurate and will give you a more realistic idea of what is going on with your pond.

I strongly encourage you to get the liquid test kits and test your water again. There may not be any significant difference, but then, there could be, and you would have a more accurate idea of your water parameters.
That should be "unreliable", not "u reliable" results.

Ask a Question