Nufoam

Reaction score
How do I use nufoam without a Skimmer? I have a waterfall. I currently have green murky water.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Do you mean how to use it for filtering algae and fine particulate matter?

Also, @sissy

There are many possibilities that you can adapt to your situation. I think Sissy is our resident "quilt batting" (which is basically the same stuff, just not as thick) expert.

• You could place some in a small plastic clothes basket and place the basket under your falls. As the water flows through, the NU-FOAM would filter the water.
  • If you could maybe split your tubing/hose (with PVC "Y" or "T" fitting --using a valve of your choice to control water flow) and have a set-up similar to the above, but instead of placing the basket under your falls, you place it in a more convenient spot.
  • I did this, but wouldn't necessarily recommend it 'cause if you're not careful, you can over-flow your filter/pond: I made a filter basket that I fitted inside my SKIPPY filter, right up to the outflow. Water had to pass through the NU-FOAM before it re-entered the pond. But there were a few close calls when the foam got full and restricted the water return.
Hope that's what you were looking for, and hop it helps. The NU-FOAM worked well, but layers of poly-quilt batting worked just as well.

Reaction score
Thank you for the information I'm going to try it today under the waterfall. Can I use the plant baskets with the wholes all around to place the nufoam in? Is there a certain amount of nufoam needed for each basket?

Reaction score
I am a new pond owner and it came with the house. I have been learning as I go how to get things done. I have to keep battling the green murky since I had the pond cleaned in the spring. As the weather got warmer after such a long winter it is a constant battle. The guy who cleaned my pond sold me Algae fix to try but that didn't work regularly. So I waited a few weeks and visited the pond store and they suggested biological clarifier I just started that yesterday, but I wanted something non chemical to help the process along that's why I wanted to try nufoam. My is rather large about 6000 gallons 12L 11W 6D. So I am looking for good advice all the time.
Thanks again for responding.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I actually found a place that sells it here ,would never think here ,but it is 1 of the furniture building places that sells it .Going to have to check out there prices since it may be cheaper .I wonder if the places that recover and restore furniture would have it also .I will call a couple tomorrow ,I put in a crate .When i rebuilt i used plenty of it to help get all the stuff that fell in the pond during the rebuild

Attachments

• pond march 11 2014 010.JPG
    pond march 11 2014 010.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 154
  • pond march 11 2014 003.JPG
    pond march 11 2014 003.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 150
  • pond march 16th 2014 012.JPG
    pond march 16th 2014 012.JPG
    183 KB · Views: 202

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Be VERY careful when using any foam rubber! The stuff used by furniture makers is USUALLY closed-cell foam, and water will not flow through it. Filter foam is open-cell, and allows water through.
John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I found out nufoam was first made for outdoor furniture to pad it because it drains fast and dries out fast .Who wants to sit on a wet cushion out side .I can get some from my sons friend who works for a furniture manufacturer .He can get me pieces from cuts and he said most of them will be any where from 4 to 8 inches wide and could be 6 or to 10 feet long .hey free is free :);)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Be VERY careful when using any foam rubber! The stuff used by furniture makers is USUALLY closed-cell foam, and water will not flow through it. Filter foam is open-cell, and allows water through.
John
I think this stuff is polyester, like the quilt batting. I have some of it, or something similar.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I was told they decided to use it for furniture indoors because it does not break down or dry out like foam does .It is polyester with but made stronger to hold up .This is per Basset furniture .Plus it does not harbor mold or mildew and is cheaper than the rubber foam they used to use .It also does not hold onto smells from things like spills or urine .I guess we do not normally pee on our furniture so guessing they mean from pets :)

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I was told they decided to use it for furniture indoors because it does not break down or dry out like foam does .It is polyester with but made stronger to hold up .This is per Basset furniture .Plus it does not harbor mold or mildew and is cheaper than the rubber foam they used to use .It also does not hold onto smells from things like spills or urine .I guess we do not normally pee on our furniture so guessing they mean from pets :)
...or urinary incontinence! :(
John
No, no personal experience. :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kthej64

Latest Threads