Too small pond overpopulated with guppies

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
I have a fountain that was converted into a pond with 3 very big Kois and 7 guppies that are now many thousands. The Kois were supposed to take care of stabilizing guppie's growth but didn't. They multiply at an alarming rate meaning a lot of food, filter cleaning and maintenance. The number of babies has increased a lot since I added floating flowers and a new, much better filter. Can I sell a lot to pet-shops or pond owners? How can I control birth rate?

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Floating vegetation helps protect the babies from predation. Supplemental feeding of the pond also reduces predation. Change these, you should see a decrease in the population.

Assuming these are feeder quality guppies, many pet stores in my area carry them. Whether or not there is enough of a market in your area, you would have to contact the stores.

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Floating vegetation helps protect the babies from predation. Supplemental feeding of the pond also reduces predation. Change these, you should see a decrease in the population.

Assuming these are feeder quality guppies, many pet stores in my area carry them. Whether or not there is enough of a market in your area, you would have to contact the stores.
Thanks. I will reduce Koi food but I'm not sure it will have any effect since they eat so many algae and flower roots. I can't reduce the number of floating flowers so much since they are protecting the Kois from heavy sun and overheating, especially these days in Yucatán, but I will cut their number by half.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I just read under another topic that you have your pump in a pump bag, and that is to protect the guppies. Maybe…..remove the pump bag for a little while and see if that helps cut down (no pun intended) on the guppy problem.

BTW, hello and welcome! How big is your fountain-converted-to-a-pond? We would love to see pics of your setup.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Add a bluegill, pumpkin fish, sun fish, bass, or croppy these will devour guppies. but make sure you get a male or you'll have more issues

Ask a Question