Opinions wanted on water/string algae

sherrye

Mn Ponder
Reaction score
Thank you Joanie,
Another advantage to living on a lake, plenty of driftwood out there. I have another one on top of the waterfall, don't know if you noticed that one in the picture:)

Reaction score
Hi Sherrye. I have been following along here and want to tell you that I have a similar situation with my pond. It is 4500 gallons, full sun from sun up to sundown and string algae is a constant. I do water changes once a week directly pumped from a creek in the woods along the edge of my property line.( about 75 yards from pond) There is no doubt that the nutrients in the creek water contributes to the string algae as I have experimented, using it vs well water,etc.
Regardless, i continue to use the stream water as it is also very good for the fish ( so I am told) and deal with the string algae. I do use Green Clean every now and then. It kills the string algae but most sting clings to the wals of the pond, rocks, etc. So if I dont remove it all, it comes right back.
Anyway, good luck, grow plants, and keep me in the loop. I'd love to here something that works.
BR

sherrye

Mn Ponder
Reaction score
Big Red,
Thank you for your post. I have not experimented with using well water vs the lake water, my well water is so high in iron, I would probably end up with orange rocks. I will try the green clean (is there a good website to buy it from?) and just deal with the string algae. My fish seem so happy with the lake water, I cleaned my pond this spring, filled it up and the fish were right back in.

Daytongirl, thank you for your nice compliment:fish:

Reaction score
I buy it from a local place from a friend who has a wholesale account. Sorry. I know it's pretty expensive. I buy the 20 lb pail for $67. I have seen it on the internet as low as $80. I just applied for the first time a few days ago. Remember, if you use it, leave your waterfall, pump, etc off for 20 minutes and then make CERTAIN you have good circulation in the pond afterwards.

sherrye

Mn Ponder
Reaction score
It sounds like it can be hard on your plants, do you apply it in the waterfall or right in the middle of the pond? Are you letting it dissolve before turning the pump back on?

Reaction score
First: I turn off pump/waterfall
Second: I sprinkle it on the edges where the string algae clings to. I do NOT apply it to the center of the pond. I know all research says it can be, and that it is safe for fish and all plants, but....better safe than sorry. That said, I have never had a problem, fish or plant loss, etc.
Third: Let it be for 20-25 minutes. Skim out the algae that actually floats to the surface dead.
Last: Turn on your pump/ waterfall. You will have some bubbles/foam for a day or two.

Hope this helps.
BR

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Barley straw releases hydrogen peroxide as it decomposes that is what kills string Algae so why not just use hydrogen peroxide instad of straw?

Reaction score
I am sorry I have no advice (too new to ponding) but I would like to compliment your pond. It is very pretty - yes, I am jealous!

Reaction score
i also have found pond balance to work like a charm without any deleterious effects on fish or plants. only downside is the cost.

JoaniePA

Joanie
Reaction score
I had a problem this spring with string algae and also cloudy water. I used the Pond Care's Pond-Zyme Barley around the edges a few times and also the Microblift. I used a regular bottle brush with a long handle to get the string algae on the falls and the edges of the rocks. The brush works really good, but it does have a shorter handle than the tool you're speaking of, so I had to actually get the water for the bottom of the falls. Anyhow, the pond is now clear.. or I should say "amber" clear as I have dark clear water. I'm using activated carbon for the color and it seems to be lightening up. I still have a small amount of string algae, but it's mostly on the top of the falls where I can twist it up with the bottle brush.

Joanie

Reaction score
I was at my father in-laws house. He has a large stream in the backyard blanketed at the moment with forget-me-nots. I took some which were growing directly in the water and put them directly into mine, along one side. I put small river rock on top of the roots to hold them in place. I kid you not...within 3 days all of the string algae in my pond disappeared! I have struggled with this problem since building the pond and in 3 days....gone. Yes, we have had poor weather this past week but I am truly hoping that it was the forget-me-nots.
I am frustrated by my inability to condense photos from my camera so that I can show everyone. I will try again.
Froget-me-nots are a groundcover which flower blue. Very pretty. Here's a link. More to come.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/190/463940166_f36136cb55_o.jpg

BR

Ask a Question