Overstocking with Increased Filtration

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
For a few ground rules let's just assume you have enough aeration and room for the fish to swim. We can also assume more frequent water changes will also be required. Finally let's also assume you're overstocking with 2-3 fish and not hundreds.

I know fish hatcheries have massive filters that let them overstock so I know it is possible, but what I'm asking is there some specific ratio? Ex: Pond Size / GPH Filtration = Number of fish? If the filter is large enough to handle the increased bio load it should be possible or is there something else I'm missing (Please note above caveats)? What's the science behind it???

Thanks in advance!
Actually there are formulas you can look up where you can match the bioload of your pond to the surface area of your bio filtration balls or pads. I would say if you are fairly new to the pond world you are taking a pretty big risk if you underestimate your needs. If this is something you really want to do I would recommend to hire a professional pond builder to help guide you through the process.

Ask a Question