Finally ID'd a dragonfly

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I found a nice site recently for bug identification and today I got some pics of a dragonfly that I hadn't seen before next to the waterfall. I think it may have been eating a cricket? Dunno - but I was pleased that I got to use the ID site ( https://www.insectidentification.org/insect-description.php?identification=Common-Sanddragon ) and that my phone took some kinda decent pics. Introducing you to the Common Sandragon.

20240514_094724.jpg
20240514_094800.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Is that something he's eating? or did you catch it just emerged from the shell/skin/whatever it's called?

I'm not sure the abdominal bands are exactly like the sanddragon. To me it looks like a female blue dasher (but I struggle with dragonfly/damselfly id's sometimes)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Is that something he's eating? or did you catch it just emerged from the shell/skin/whatever it's called?

I'm not sure the abdominal bands are exactly like the sanddragon. To me it looks like a female blue dasher (but I struggle with dragonfly/damselfly id's sometimes)
I will surely trust your judgement more than mine. This is the first I've even felt close to being able to id one. I found it like this near the waterfall - and I think it may be eating that cricket??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I will surely trust your judgement more than mine. This is the first I've even felt close to being able to id one. I found it like this near the waterfall - and I think it may be eating that cricket??
I couldn't quite make out what the other 'thing' in the photo was. It could be a cricket meal, but I also thought it looked like a dragonfly exoskeleton. Here's a picture I have from a previous year of a dasher shell:
dragonfly shell 01+.jpg

Here is a male/female pair -
dasher pair 03+.jpg

Ask a Question