oxygen, botulism, ducks, & more ...

Reaction score
Hello - we have an approximate 1/3 acre country pond - no aeration/filter system and putting one in would be very difficult & expensive. Being shallow, and with winters that will ice over the whole pond, we also have not stocked it with fish. We also have planted no water plants, but there are two small patches of volunteer cattails. Pond gets plenty of sunshine throughout the day. Plenty of frogs, dragonflies, and other small pond dwellers ... and this year at least 3 water turtles have taken up residence with the largest being at least a foot long. Unfortunately, no one can get close enough to get a real good look at it ... they come and sun themselves on the rocks, then jump in when anyone approaches. Luckily, they all have smooth profiles so we know they're not snappers.

We love ducks and try to have several (which can be a challenge considering the racoons & foxes). A couple of years ago, we lost most of our ducks to an outbreak of botulism in the middle of the summer when the temps went into the 100's. Since then we've been almost duck-free ... but I just purchased several ducklings.

During the summer, a lot of algae grows in the pond, and though I don't know a whole lot about it, I know the algae prevents good oxygen levels which is what can be a major contributor to the botulism outbreak. Aside from putting in an aeration system, what can we do to help with the oxygen levels in the pond?

I had read somewhere that floating pond plants can raise the oxygen levels, so I purchased 4 water hyacinths. (Have yet to place them in the pond - they're still in a bucket of water.) But then I did more research and other places have said they reduce oxygen levels. So ... would using the water hyacinths be beneficial or not? I really don't want to loose my ducks again this year, and was hoping the hyacinths would also prevent so much algae growth.

Any practical suggestions?

Reaction score
Oh.. And welcome to our forum! :) Duck weed ( among other floating plants) is how natural marshes stay oxygenated. It will take over mostly, if there is nothing there to eat it, but you said you have ducklings. I would love to have some, but my little piggies would eat it all, koi love duck weed, at least mine do! Lol.

Reaction score
Sounds good. What about the hyacinth? Will it work also? And the duckweed - how is it when it comes to freezing weather? Will it survive the winter? (zone 5)

Reaction score
I was told that duckweed will drop to the bottom of the pond to over winter, and then as the water warms it floats back up. I can't say this from experience, but that's what I understand.. I've never heard that hyacinth remove oxygen from the water, but they are a tropical plant and will not over winter. I do know that they are good for removing nitrates from water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You're correct about oxygen dropping during the summer, the warmer water can't hold as much oxygen. Here's an in-depth article I did last year that goes into the oxygen cycles of a small pond and how to manage them: http://www.landvistaaquascapes.com/blog/the-importance-of-oxygen-in-your-pond

I also did one about duck ponds, that will hopefully also be helpful for you to better understand the unique needs of a pond with resident duck population. http://www.landvistaaquascapes.com/blog/designing-a-proper-duck-pond
I imagine you don't want to be spending a ton of time cleaning it to keep the water parameters within a healthy range. Additional aeration is certainly beneficial, whether its from aerators or a waterfall or jets to move the water.

Ask a Question