Is there too much oxygenation?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Hi , I have natural pond 30 over 100 feet with deepest end of 6 feet .last year I cleaned it with heavy equipment and stocked with native blue gill and some throut . They did well in summer , eating and being active . I’d say about 20 fish different sizes. We had harsh winter in CT with ice covering pond for extended time. I assume that’s why all of them died. See some dead fish on a bottom , rest I assum already decomposed. Can’t see any swimming . I’m considering getting aeration for this year and winter . Looking at sets on amazon for around $600. But they all are rated for big ponds. . Am I gonna hurt fish if I will run something like this
AirPro Pond Aerator Kit by Living Water - Rocking Piston Pond Aeration System for Up to 1 Acre - Minimize Odor, Prevent Fish Kill - Includes 1/4 HP Compressor, 100' Weighted Tubing, Membrane Diffuser https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FM6DFPY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_jChJAb9WBZPW7

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
image.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I can't see air hurting them .But could it chill the water to much for that type fish ,I don't know .Do you keep an opening in the ice for gas exchange

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
keep the diffuser near the surface in the winter and an area clear of snow (if you can, as this will help the algae continue, which also gives O2 to the water column). Keeping a hole open in the ice allows for toxic gases to escape as well as oxygenation to occur . NO measurable amount of oxygenation will happen with the rise of the bubbles; it's the turbulence at the surface where it happens. If you have much decaying organics, they'll continue to decay during the winter months and this process also uses available O2. A lot of us are using pond breathers--you might want to investigate. I'd imagine you'd need more than one for a pond your size, though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
keep the diffuser near the surface in the winter and an area clear of snow (if you can, as this will help the algae continue, which also gives O2 to the water column). Keeping a hole open in the ice allows for toxic gases to escape as well as oxygenation to occur . NO measurable amount of oxygenation will happen with the rise of the bubbles; it's the turbulence at the surface where it happens. If you have much decaying organics, they'll continue to decay during the winter months and this process also uses available O2. A lot of us are using pond breathers--you might want to investigate. I'd imagine you'd need more than one for a pond your size, though.
I see , do you use breathers only or diffuser with compressor as well?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Currently, I only use one breather. I used to use only an aerator, but one winter, the line got pinched/frozen and it's more a pita to then have to melt open a hole and get a new aerator. I've used a breather now for 3 winters and think they're a better bet.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Fish live well in Niagara Falls and their is no such thing as super chilled water on planet earth, as the water on planet earth is not pure and contains minerals and salts that prevent this. I run my ponds all winter long for last 27 years with no death of fish. Top so called KOI experts .(Who never wintered their koi) tried to tell me running water would cool the water and super chill it. Never ever happened in 27 years I have been keeping goldfish and Koi outside in -40 below with running water. Lakes and ponds around here in Alberta have suffered fish deaths some winters and even hot summers. Notice that it happens in "small lakes and ponds" and not rivers ot streams..... Not enough water movement and thick ice can cause fish to suffocate as they run out of oxygen. Top experts recomend accelerators to improve water condition. Trout do best in very very cold lakes up here in Canada and taste best if you catch them right out of the ice in winter. Trout in warmer lakes do not taste as fresh and are not as healthy. Same with Pike and Whitefish. They are all cold water fish and love ICE COLD water but still need good supply of oxygen.
I would however suggest that the fish still need a "quite" area to rest under the ice as well. The accelerator should be big enough to keep hole open and not too big that their is no quite zones for fish to slumber the winter away.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
A lot of those reports are sometimes old scare tactics .Just like all the things reported on these days .It is made to scare people

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
...Top experts recomend accelerators to improve water condition. ... The accelerator should be big enough to keep hole open and not too big that their is no quite zones for fish to slumber the winter away.

I'm just a middle expert, so you'll have to excuse me.
What is an accelerator?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
A lot of those reports are sometimes old scare tactics .Just like all the things reported on these days .It is made to scare people
and sometimes the earth really is round...not that you have to believe everything, but don't miss the sign when you reach the edge of the world...wouldn't want to fall off, you know!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Hi , I have natural pond 30 over 100 feet with deepest end of 6 feet .last year I cleaned it with heavy equipment and stocked with native blue gill and some throut . They did well in summer , eating and being active . I’d say about 20 fish different sizes. We had harsh winter in CT with ice covering pond for extended time. I assume that’s why all of them died. See some dead fish on a bottom , rest I assum already decomposed. Can’t see any swimming . I’m considering getting aeration for this year and winter . Looking at sets on amazon for around $600. But they all are rated for big ponds. . Am I gonna hurt fish if I will run something like this
AirPro Pond Aerator Kit by Living Water - Rocking Piston Pond Aeration System for Up to 1 Acre - Minimize Odor, Prevent Fish Kill - Includes 1/4 HP Compressor, 100' Weighted Tubing, Membrane Diffuser https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FM6DFPY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_jChJAb9WBZPW7

Aerators can still freeze over, it depends on your weather conditions.
Are you able to introduce any submerged plants that can help with oxygenation?

You can over oxygenate a body of water but that is by using hydrogen peroxide in excess quantities.
Regular water movement/aeration will equalize oxygen with the ambient air, that's it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My dad taught me to be strong as only the weak fail and to never let anyone tell me different .I have worked along side men all my life and never failed .The weak fail that is why there is a drug epidemic in this world ,WEAK MIND WEAK BODY .My hubby was always proud of that .I myself feel the more oxygen you add the less water quality problems you will have .I have air stones even in my filter.I feel if you keep plants in your filters they will use up the nutrients that are coming into the filter before they have a chance to reenter the pond .Oxygen helps the plants grow also .I do have to trim the roots on the plants every month or two .

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I'm just a middle expert, so you'll have to excuse me.
What is an accelerator?

Ok. Ha ha ha... its a giant air pump spelled wrong. I won't use them again either. I did let my air pump run this year and yes the line froze.... I just leave my pumps run all winter and that is best when you have proper large underwater filters

Last edited:

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Top experts tried to tell me that Koi would never live in ice cold running water and I even had a top expert from the UK who tried to tell me so on a facebook KOI site. I told him to go look at my u -Tube channel and see my very large old koi doing just fine in ice cold running water. The guy was so obsessed that he sent me several text messages and was amazed. Then he said his koi were too expensive to leave out all winter. I have a now over 2142 subs on my rapidly growing channel and just one of my videos now has over 600,000 views.

Super chilled water can only happen if you have pure water, and water on earth is not pure. Super chilled water can happen in the atmosphere and in a lab, or you can do it yourself with pure distilled water in a freezer.
Do more research yourself. I have 27 years of research.

Last edited:

Ask a Question