Pics of my partial above & below ground pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is an old thread, just seeing it in spring of 2020. Hopefully you will see and reply. I have a question on the rebar. How did you drill the holes in the wood? I can't imagine you stacked the wood and then drilled 3 or 4 feet. Did you pre-drill each piece, then stack, then drive rebar? I have limited room in my yard for a pond and want one, so it will have to be above ground over the electrical easement. Thanks for posting the pics of your hard work.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1589471235040.gif
@Threedog If you want a specific someone to respond to your question you can put their forum name in your post so an email will be sent to them so they will see it. Like you would put to @lovekoi and then your post but it was so long ago that person may not be a member anymore. Someone else here may see this that can help you tho. Lots of wonderful pond builders here! I'm just a hole digger tho and not an above grounder.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is an old thread, just seeing it in spring of 2020. Hopefully you will see and reply. I have a question on the rebar. How did you drill the holes in the wood? I can't imagine you stacked the wood and then drilled 3 or 4 feet. Did you pre-drill each piece, then stack, then drive rebar? I have limited room in my yard for a pond and want one, so it will have to be above ground over the electrical easement. Thanks for posting the pics of your hard work.
How big are you wanting to go? I have built a couple of wooden ponds. I myself would never use landscape timbers. I always use 4 x 6 or 6x6 pressure treated wood for mine. The landscape timbers available here rot to fast. If you tell me the size I will try to help you. Is it going to be completely above ground?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Just pulled a bunch of landscape timbers out of my yard. Less than 10 years old and completely rotted. Had them as a border on sidewalk and had major termite damage. Go with the bigger pressure treated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I had not seen this thread before. Thanks for reviving it!
The OP did a beautiful job with those landscaping ties. I'm wondering how they are holding up since the install was some 6 years ago.
When I built my bog this Spring I was considering using landscaping ties, but opted to go with natural stones I had laying around. I read some reviews from the big box stores that complained the landscaping ties rotted out very quickly.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very Nice indeed just wish we had the space for something like that in our back garden you guys always seem to have so much more space than we do in the old country sigh ;)
However a word of caution it is recomended that a bare mimimum depth for koi is 4ft with 5ft as the prefared depth for safely over wintering koi .
OMG open to the main road as well now here in the UK tht is just asking for your koi to disapear without a trace as there is prolific koi theft :(

Dave :)
Dave,
I have seen many and I do mean many ponds on this side of the big pond who have 2 and 3 foot deep ponds in cold climates and the ponds have been running for years. i agree myself i prefer 6 foot depth but alot here have 3 or less and have made it work.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'm in northeastern Pennsylvania, zone 6b. Our winters can be long and hard. My pond is 3 feet deep and no problems. Koi, shubunkin and different varieties of goldfish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm wondering how they are holding up since the install was some 6 years ago.
I was thinking the same thing Any 16 foot wall will have some good push from the water. but when it's only 24" DEEP the pressure is not tremendous. Though if you were behind an opening in the wall and only a piece of edpm and you were holding back that little opening i guarantee you could not do it not even close. While i like that he rebard all the layers together that helped a lot i would have Myself buried a couple layers so mother nature helped to hold the wall straight. Aquascapes just made a similar set up at aqualand not so long ago but it looked closer to 3 feet and it was longer then 16 feet but they also had 6x6 timbers and it failed they may know ponds but apparently they are no construction engineers.

Ask a Question