Pleco fish in ponds - GOOD IDEA?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Cathy,
so now it is 2021 and I do hope you read this. I am in North Idaho and my 10 Gold fish and 1 koi that live in our 4'x6' by 3' deep black plastic pond survive our harsh, cold winters...3 years now. This Spring we added a 10" Pleco to the mix and I am not sure if I should take him out or let him weather the winter with his friends. We don't heat the pond in the winter. How have your Pleco's done after all these years in the winter?
Plecos are tropical fish; they won't survive less than 50 F and that's pushing it. Most plecos will do hardly anything re algae in a pond. Even snails won't keep it at bay. Easier to learn to manage the good type and protect against the free floating single cell variety that obscures your view (even that type is working to hep balance your system).

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was wondering if anyone has tried putting pleco fish in their ponds? They eat algae and plants, and are typically used in freshwater aquariums to keep the algae at a minimum. How well do you think they would coexist with Koi, some of these fish can grow to a size of 2 feet.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

Mike
Where can I buy

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@TalatD Hello and welcome!

You can buy plecos in pet stores. Most people keep them in aquariums. Not necessarily suited to ponds. What is your area of interest?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I check all canton Ohio couldn't find place they sell them. I need one for the pond.

Thanks

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I check all canton Ohio couldn't find place they sell them. I need one for the pond.

Thanks
Plecos are not suited to colder climates and if kept in a pond would have to be brought inside during cold weather. Why do you NEED one for your pond? Do you have other fish?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This place lists plecostomus for sale……many different varieties. Only 29 minute drive from Canton, according to Google maps.

21AC71BF-269F-4C90-9AC7-3785C4949C26.jpeg

Ask a Question