Pleco with koi?

Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere that a person put a pleco in his pond with his koi just to help with the scavenging. Is this a good idea, will they get along? I'm tossing around the idea just to have something different, I've always been a fan of plecos. Would they survive the winter?

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
I have one in with mine and no problems. Nessie is over 16" long. Your winters in Ohio might be to cold to keep outside then.

Our local pond store has them in all of thier ponds.

Reaction score
Koiguy, do you keep them in the pond over the winter? I wouldn't think they would survive the cold. I've been thinking about putting a sturgen and a white catfish in mine.

retiredusaf

retiredusaf
Reaction score
I haven't seen my Plecos since I put him in. They eat mainly at night and usually die in cold winter climates. I have question for somebody. In anticipation of a power outage, how long can I expect the Koi to live without circulating water? Usually, power comes back on within about four hours. That happened once and my Koi were okey but what if it is off for 1-4 days. Seems like longer power outages are becoming more frequent throughout the USA.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
It all depends on your fish load and the surface area of your pond. A customer of mine who has a 4000 gallon pond lost all of his during a 4 hour power outage. I came to know him only afterward while he was looking to re-populate his pond. I advised him not to overpopulate this time and maybe think about a UPS for an emergency pump.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Airic said:
Koiguy, do you keep them in the pond over the winter? I wouldn't think they would survive the cold. I've been thinking about putting a sturgen and a white catfish in mine.

oh.. they definately need to come in for the winter...here anyways!!!

retiredusaf

retiredusaf
Reaction score
No problem at all in Arlington, TX, for my Koi during this past winter and it got down to 15 degrees. The reading I've done says they should be alright if you keep an opening in the ice. My waterfall did that for me.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
retiredusaf said:
No problem at all in Arlington, TX, for my Koi during this past winter and it got down to 15 degrees. The reading I've done says they should be alright if you keep an opening in the ice. My waterfall did that for me.

he was asking about the piecos...

Ask a Question