Plumbing math question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
I plan to have 3 levels to the pond system I will build with a head height aprox 6'. Main pond at the bottom, bog in the middle and a lilly pond at the top. Water will be sent to both the upper pond for fish and lillys and to the middle section that will be a bog. . Wondering about my flow rate when the top pond valve would be fully open and the middle one adjusted to allow the proper flow to the top. Will my flow rate be calculated for the total head height or will it be greater with 75% of the flow being sent to the middle bog section.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oohhh... I'm not falling into that math rabbit hole! I like the old "let's put ball valves on everything and play around with it until we're happy approach"!

Is your question how big your pump should be? I am a little confused about the bog in the middle part - how will the water get from the top pond to the bottom pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
I will have a stream that connects top to middle to the main bottom pond. I would like lillys in the top pond with a small amount of water flow into the end of the bog and out to the lower pond.
Most of the water will be pumped into the middle bog section and both will flow into the lower pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am having trouble visualizing the water flow. Is the water from the upper pond pumped under and up through the bog or is this a cascading thing: 1 into 2 into 3? Does the upper pond have plants and fish? Perhaps a diagram will help.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I am having trouble visualizing the water flow. Is the water from the upper pond pumped under and up through the bog or is this a cascading thing: 1 into 2 into 3? Does the upper pond have plants and fish? Perhaps a diagram will help.

Oh good! It's not just me!

It sounds like the water is going to flow across the bog, rather than up through. Is that your plan @Ronfire ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Water will be pumped under pea gravel in both top pond and middle bog and allowed flow back to the main pond in 1 stream. Some fish in the top pond for bug control.
Lillys planted in the pea gravel in the top pond should work like a bog filter and grow well i hope, maybe to well.

Reaction score
I see a problem with the plan. In order to turn the water over in the main pond at least once an hour you will have to pump quite a bit of water (unless you have a very small pond). Since you are pumping this into gravel the water will not be able to flow naturally and will rise to the surface and overflow. Much like a flooded backyard would look. The best you could do is as Lisak1 said "let's put ball valves on everything and play around with it until we're happy approach"!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm still confused about your plan - the "water will be pumped under pea gravel in both the top pond" part has me puzzled. Like an undergravel filter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm sure you have a plan, but it's just ... well, different... typically, all the water flow into your top pond right on the surface or above, then gravity takes it to the bog, then back into the main pond. Your lilies will still get plenty of nutrition.

As I've found out, maintenance of a clogged upflow line in a bog is a real PITA.

Really, the best laid flow rate math goes out the window when paper meets pond, so if you want to split the stream, use ball valves and for a calculation, take the average of the two head heights. That'll be close enough.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So are you pumping to both top and middle pond at once? I'm sorry to be so dense but I just can't figure out the water flow you are planning.

Ask a Question