Pond Cycle

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
How will I know when my pond has cycled? We've tested the water and all 4 tests fall within the range that came with the kit.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think first you have to have some ammonia in the pond and add it daily to the pond and think also the temps have to be above 60F and takes about 4-6wks to get the ammonia level to 0. Some add a few little fish in there to start the cycle or add bacteria that you can buy. Maybe somebody knows better how exactly to do it step by step.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
get the pump(s) going, filter(s) setup... a few plants..then put a few fish in the pond...it will happen on its own...you can accelerate the process by adding some beneficial bacteria. my first pond was only 450 gals. i used Microbelifts PL GEL filter innoculant. i had 2 dozen 6" fish (added acouple at a time) in about 2-3 weeks...never had anything but good readings. i added plant(s) and fish every few days.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I did the same process as Quagmire (koiguy), added beneficial bacteria, a few fish, then some plants and it cycled.

Reaction score
I assume by cycle we're talking about ammonia. Just as JW said.

To know a pond is ready for ammonia you have to first measure some ammonia. When the level goes back to zero you know bacteria is established. No need to add bacteria, mother nature provides plenty for free.

Instead of adding fish you can add plain ammonia from the drug store as long as there's no fish. This ammonia is the exact same stuff the bacteria eat. You can't really add too much, provided no fish. Bacteria will convert it in about a week if the condition JW said are met.

The downside to adding a few goldfish is they probably won't produce enough ammonia to be measured. Without measuring ammonia and then a decline there's no way to tell if the bacteria are ready. You can still add ammonia with fish if you measure and understand how ammonia relates to water temp, pH and the length of time ammonia levels are maintained. Cooler the water the less toxic the ammonia.

That's a lot of over thinking for most water gardens. Just adding some small fish, not feeding a lot, and when water is cool is commonly done without any problem. Ammonia bacteria reproduce fast and so you may never measure any ammonia.

The whole forcing bacteria growth before fish are added is used by people planning to buy a truck load of full grown Koi for a new pond. In that case a week can be too long to wait for the bacteria. But for most water gardens...not an issue. Just measure ammonia to be sure. If it gets to dangerous levels based on water temp and pH you can do temporary treatment and/or water changes.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Long and short pl, add ammonia, or add some fish and your pond will cycle.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the fish need not even be that small...youve got a decent sized pond...you could start with a half dozen 6-8" fish. and start with light feedings if your water is of feeding temps... maybe start with a wheatgerm food.due to its high digestability. monitor ammonia and nitrites. adjust feeding accordingly. just add a couple fish at a time.

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Ok I have another question.... I've been testing my water weekly and last week it was

Ammonia 0
Phos .25
PH 6.5
Nitrate .25

Today when I tested
Ammonia 0
Phos .25
PH 8.0
Nitrate 0

Are my levels okay? Do I need to be concerned about the increase in the PH? I haven't added any water or done any kind of water change.

Also here are some pics of what things are looking like in my filter. Is this what I'm supposed to be seeing? Do I need to clean any of this or just let it go?
photo (68).JPG photo (69).JPG

Reaction score
Knowing the KH level would tell you if the pH will stay stable. Many people keep ponds above 8.0 pH, 9 and 10 even. It isn't perfect but Koi and Goldfish do fine. Stable pH is more important than level, in general, imo.

For example, if your KH were really low and you had a heavy rain your pH could drop in a very short time from 8.0 to say 6.0. That would be hard on the fish. However if your KH was good, lets say 200 ppm, and it rained your pH would not change. Rain is acidic, like in the 2.0 to 6.0 range depending on location and conditions. Compare that to vinegar which is in the 4.0 to 5.0 range. Many people consider vinegar to be an "acid" but don't consider rain as an acid even though it can be up to 1000 times more acidic. Plus an inch of rain in a medium size pond would be about 1400 gals of rain. No one would ever think adding 1400 gals of vinegar to a pond as good, but often forget about rain. Some people even collect rain water to add to the pond without understanding pH buffering. So that's why I consider KH a more important measurement.

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
KH? The pond test kit I bought test the four I listed. It's the Pondcare Master Liquid Test Kit.
I'm confused? Do I need something in addition to the kit I have to test the KH?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you can buy a kh test kit at any pet stores and even walmart sells one .They are really cheap and yes I have pond care kit and most only test for the things that seem the most important .We had over 4 inches of rain in 2 days and my water tested fine and I guees the ph can drop but I use bags of crushed oyster shells to keep mine stable and have never had a problem as my ph has always stayed around 8 or 9 .I also get mine tested at the pet store I go to and they give you an itemized detail sheet of all the tests they run

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Thanks Sissy, I'll get a KH test also. Do you use the Oyster Shell that is for birds?

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
My pond has turned a not so nice shade of green. I'm sure its because of the warmer temps (85 today) we have had. Now hoping I don't freak out to bad if it doesn't return to the clear that it's been.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The oyster shells they sale for chickens. I added some to get our water harder (we are very soft, acidic well water) once the plants, oyster shells etc chimed in my ph became very stable.

Reaction score
Hi about pond cycle I have a few question, but the stores didn't answer what i was expecting.

Our ponds have been cleaned 6 days ago.
Refilled. Added stuff to neutralize chloramine, chlorine etc... added beneficial bacteria.

I have let it all run 6 days.
I was gonna wait 3 weeks for the fish to be back in there but everywhere I went to buy the products for the pond i've been told that the fish had more chance to die in the water tank than if reintroduced.
I asked about the cycle and nitrite peak... been told it wont kill the fish, what would have killed the fish was the chlorine.

I've reintroduced my fish today... keeping a close eye on them... but wondering if I messed up or not.
I've harassed local pond stores including our american plant (they have a wonderful water feature ).

Thx for the help.

Ask a Question